Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Declan’s POV

I brush a piece of Arianna’s hair out of her face and she wiggles closer to me, still fast asleep. I know there is no chance of me falling back to sleep, but I don’t want to risk waking Arianna up so I remain on the bed. I stare down at her delicate heart-shaped face and long dark lashes that contrast so sharply with her creamy white skin. She looks so innocent and beautiful when sleeping that it literally makes my heart beat faster.

I know coming back to the cabin has been hard on her. When she showed me Caleb’s room the day before I could see the pain in her eyes. She has given up hope on ever finding answers, but I feel like there has to be something that we missed. Whenever I think about all of the things that we figured out to this point there is always one thing that stands out in particular. The fact that there was another little girl there the day Caleb died is driving me insane. I feel like I should know who the person is. Whoever it is would be about Ari’s age now and Matthew mentioned that she had blonde hair. Suddenly a realization dawns on me and I can’t believe how stupid I was.

Jennifer Duvall! It has to be her! Arianna and her were friends when they were younger and she definitely has blonde hair. She is the obvious answer of who else would be there. Okay, so maybe my reasoning doesn’t really make that much sense, but I just know that it had to be her. I mean, she always seems to be involved when something bad happens.

Once I come to the conclusion that it was her, I know I have to prove it. The only way to do that would be to talk to Jennifer herself, so I guess that is what I need to do. I know it is a bit much to drive all the way back to town just to talk to Jennifer, but this is important. She might know what really happened that day and I can’t wait until we get back from our vacation to talk to her.

I carefully slip out of the bed doing my best not to wake Ari. She rolls over, but luckily doesn’t open her eyes. I scrawl down a quick message telling her that I had to leave to do something, but that I would be back. I don’t want to tell her my suspicions just in case I turn out to be wrong.

After getting dressed I walk into the kitchen to find Arianna’s mom sitting at the counter sipping a cup of coffee.

“Good morning, Declan. You’re up early,” she says smiling.

“Yea, there’s actually something that came up. I should be back by tonight, though.” I reply while heading towards the door.

“But you don’t have your car! Here take mine,” she says surprising me.

“Are you sure? I was just going to take the bus or something,” I respond uncertainly.

“It’s fine. Take it,” she insists while holding out her keys to me.

“Thanks,” I smile and take them from her.

“No problem,” she says and goes back to reading the newspaper.

I head out to the stone driveway where her car is parked and get in. Then I start the car and begin the three hour drive back to town.

* * *

The drive actually doesn’t take as long as I expected because there was practically no traffic. It is only noon when I see a sign telling me I only have ten more miles. Since I don’t know where Jennifer actually lives I pull up to a little pizza place that a lot of people from school always hang out at. Hopefully someone there will know how to get in contact with her or if I’m really lucky she will be here herself.

Jennifer isn’t in the pizza place, but I do see Leo and Drew.

“Hey guys,” I say coming up to their table.