Ch.XVIII Close call

Ramming their zombie truck through zombie hordes. Like reaping wheats in a field. Fallen zombies got crushed beneath their truck. Bone crushing noises could be heard repeatedly.

Erin felt sick. These creatures were humans like them. Until the virus alternated them.

"There! A chopper over there!" yells Stanley.

That's the fourth chopper they have found. Their last hope. The other choppers have been destroyed beyond repairs. And their zombie truck is almost run out of gas.

Wesker goes first to the helicopter with Toshi guards his back. Jack guards Erin's back while she's running behind them.

Finally Wesker manages to turn on the helicopter. He whistles as a signal for them to quickly get onboard.

Stanley has stayed in the truck in case the helicopter wouldn't work. Now he is running toward them.

Zombies chase him from behind. But he runs faster than them all. Stanley almost reach the chopper when suddenly a zombie cat bites his back. He quickly throws it away. But it's already too late. His legs begin to tremble and he falls on his knees.

"Stan!" yells Jack while running toward him.

His best friend looks upward. Saliva is dripping down from his mouth. Showing his teeth. And suddenly Stanley's head explodes to pieces.

Wesker yells, "Just get in, lover boy!"

Jack runs into the chopper and almost got left behind because it's already take off the ground.

"You killed Stan!" yells Jack angrily.

"Wrong. I killed a zombie. He would bite you and you knew it."

Jack screams out his frustration.

And he curses, "Stupid soldier!"

Wesker says sadly, "I've killed a lot of comrades in San Francisco. Don't you think I know how you felt?"

Toshi suddenly yells, "Incoming!"

They flew out of San Francisco just in time before nukes obliterated the whole town

"Jesus! What just happened?" curses Wesker.

San Francisco just vanished from the earth.

Who did this? Russia? China? Or ....

He shakes his head. No time to think about politics.

Wesker orders, "Take us to Canada, Toshi."

"Negative, Sir. Not much fuel left."

"Well, just aim to the north. We will have to find another vehicle in time."

"Are you okay?" asks Erin.

Jack rubs his face. He says sadly, "I couldn't help him. And he had always watched my back..."