22.

"okay, that one totally fits you."

"really?" I take the mask off, looking at it once more.

"Yeah, it's a little peppy for a murder session, but it's your style." Mrs. McAlley pulls me to the mirror.

"I guess." I just shrug.

you can still hear my moms sobs from the bathroom.

hang in there mom, I got this.

"I'm proud of you Jasmine" she puts her hand on my shoulder.

"What for?" I laugh, turning to her.

"You're finally making something of yourself." she mocks what I had told her earlier. A giggle escaped.

"Hey, Mrs. McA-"

"Lauren."

"What?"

"Call me lauren" she smiles genuinely.

"Well, Lauren; I didn't mean what I said. I guess I was trying to cover up the fact that I wanted to be on your side.. I dunno" I pursed my lips.

did I mention I took theatre all through highschool?

"Well, you don't have to anymore. So, you got a plan?" she walks across the room, opening a drawer of knives.

"I have a couple ideas. But here's my best. Let's pretend that I'm fighting you. Let's pretend I escaped you and I run into the bathroom with my mom."

"But that means you don't get to wear your mask. I want my new partner to have a memorable first time in her mask" she whines.

"It's okay, it doesn't really bother me. I promise, Lauren." I nod.

"Okay. So what's next"

"Obviously I'll be hiding the knife behind my back. I'll get close to her like I'm comforting her, and that's when I strike." I say in an accomplished tone.

"Ooo jasmine that's good" Mrs. McAlley high fives me. I'm only calling her by her first name out loud, to her. Not to myself.

"Ready for this?"

"Yes, Lauren, I'm ready. Stay in here though, we can't have her getting suspicious."

"ohhh you're right. Alright, go ahead" she gets excited, I pretend to as well.

I walk to the bathroom and pick the lock, opening the door. My mom sits on the floor, backed up against the wall.

She's scared of me.

"Mom" I whisper.

"Stay away" she puts her hand up, crying.

my heart shatters.

"Mom, listen to me. This is all an act, I'm not on her side" I whisper as quiet as possible.

"kn..Knife" she points.

"I pretended like it was for you, but it's incase she catches on and comes after us. Please believe me" I stand up, quietly opening the window. Relief spreads across mom's face.

"okay okay" she climbs out the window and I go right after. We quietly climb across the roof and hop to the grass.

Sprinting to the car, I drop the knife in my leg.

"mom" I yelp as I fall.

"No, Jas" she picks me up and puts me in the back seat of the car. She then walks to the front and starts the ignition.

"Let's get you to the hospital."