Chapter 50

What did we do Saturday? Had a Skype date with my parents. Ashton, me, my mom, and my dad. We sat at Ashton’s kitchen table and we all talked. Did I tell my parents about the rape? No. But Ashton explained that there was a “situation” at first my parents were skeptical about it, but honestly they have learned to trust me over the past couple of months. And even more in the past few weeks. Since I’ve been in Australia my parents have been the most understanding of me, the kindest to me, and the most trusting.

I think it’s because I am talking to them more. I never talked to them back at home. Ashton encouraged this in me. He told me its healthy or me to talk to my parents. And like on Saturday when I didn’t want to talk to my parents he asked me, “Well how would you feel if Bean didn’t want to talk to us.”

“Bean is a fetus!” I stated, voice cracking with the slight annoyance I had. Staring in the mirror I was fixing my make-up. I was actually trying to impress my parents, no, actually I was trying to not look pregnant. Jokes on me you can’t look pregnant through your face.

Ashton leaned on the doorway of the bathroom, “I meant when Bean’s a disgruntled teenager.”

Putting my make-up brush down I looked at Ashton, “Bean isn’t going to be afraid to talk to us like I am afraid to talk to my parents.”

Ashton stared at me and shook his head, “You shouldn’t be afraid of your parents, Melanie.”

Wetting my lips I glanced back into the mirror at myself but saw nothing. “Ashton… you don’t understand…”

“I don’t understand?” Ashton walked into the bathroom. His footsteps were slow as he walked over to the sink where my makeup was laying out. “I do understand because Melanie I’ve gone through the same thing.”

He has. This wasn’t fair for me to pull the whole “you don’t get me” card on him. Ashton’s gone through shit with his family, and I’ve gone through shit with mine. And to think we were going to be having our own family… gross, weird, no.

“I know.” I stated and started applying make-up on my face. “I just have this fear that they are going to pull me away from you… Like…” Swallowing hard I had to say it, “It’s obvious my dad doesn’t trust me with you.”

“Melanie…” Ashton tried to stop me but I couldn’t.

“And I’m pregnant… Pregnant.” Again I started to get emotional. Poor Ashton. I’m surprised he hasn’t kicked me out yet.

Ashton reached and stroked up and down my arm, “I’m not going anywhere… Alright?” My eyes met his eyes and he smiled, “I love you. You love me. We love Bean.” Starting to chuckle he admired himself at his own little rhyme. Bringing himself back into the conversation after his burst of a chuckle he continued, “Melanie it’s going to be okay…”

“Do you promise?” I asked.

“I promise.” Wrapping his arms around me, Ashton pulled me into a tight hug. “We are going to be okay.”

That Sunday was like any other Sunday I have to say. Ashton dropped me off at the barn around 12:30 pm and Bridget was waiting in the arena with Scout. Scout was a large, relatively friendly Warmblood. He had a chocolate coat and a white stripe down his face. I liked Scout. I worked with Scout a lot during the week, so when these Sunday lessons came I was excited to help Bridget out. Ashton offered to stay and watch since I was only going to be there an hour, but I just wanted it to be girl’s time.

Bridget was excited to see me as I approached the gate and opened it just enough to let myself through. “Mel!” She exclaimed and made her own horse jump. She laughed as Scout jumped, reaching, and she pet his neck calmingly. “Sorry, buddy…” Scout was a spooky horse.