Chapter 29

So we waited, Ashton and I did. At first Ashton was very reluctant, but once he realized I wasn’t leaving until I was positive everything was okay he then stayed. We talked with Luke, amused Luke, and kept him healthily stimulated with conversation, water, and food. We sat in this bedroom for what seemed like hours. We sat there for a think a total of two. He asked to go to the bathroom, and I made Ashton help him. Luke could barely walk. What did he take last night? As Luke and Ashton went to the bathroom I thought about what could be in Luke’s system. I took a few classes that discussed drugs and alcohol, how they affected our brains and stuff. Finally school came in handy.

I came to the conclusion that Luke must have taken some mixture of drugs this morning, probably partying all night. I also came to the conclusion that Luke hadn’t had this cocktail before, that this was new. His body wasn’t reacting the way it should, and this worried me.

By the mess in the basement and main floor there were probably more than seven people here. There were probably about as many people as at Asher’s. Maybe. If they boys knew that many people—I blame Amber. Everyone was probably under some influence and probably was a bad situation. Luke probably wasn’t thinking straight. Who would do this on purpose?

As Luke and Ashton came back into the bedroom I immediately smelt vomit. My eyebrows pulled together and I softly sighed. My heart ached. Carefully I helped Ashton lead Luke back to the bed. Luke’s eyes were heavy. I think he was thinking better. He really needed to sleep this off…

When Luke hit the bed he let out a loud groan, and I quickly apologized. Ashton was quick to grab the glass to refill with water. Pulling the blanket over Luke’s body I glanced down at him, sitting on the side of the bed where he was laying. Luke’s eyes were drooping. This pleased me.

“You alright?” I asked in a soft voice. Luke just nodded. I reached and tucked some hair behind his ear. Swallowing I felt my heart rise in my chest, “You know…” I started to say, almost hesitantly, “…this can be our secret… I won’t tell anyone about this. I won’t tell your mom—“

“Please don’t tell her… She’ll fucking disown me.” Luke’s voice broke lightly.

I nodded. I somehow understood, but I didn’t. I wasn’t like this. I wasn’t going out and drinking and putting foreign substances in my body. I was so confused as to why Luke would do this. Luke never seemed like the guy to do something like this.

“I promise I won’t tell her.” I stated, leaning down and pecking Luke’s forehead. “Now close your eyes.” My voice was soft like a whisper, and smooth as a lullaby.

Finally. Luke closed his eyes. More like they slammed shut; his body just got tired of supporting him. His body was done. Poor guy. My hand lingered on his face, and softly I gave his cheek a love-pat.

Ashton came back into the room and looked to Luke in question then to me with a similar face, but with his eyebrows more scrunched. I put my finger to my lip, then proceeded to grab the water from Ashton and place it on the side table. Ashton stood there, and I sat there. We just stared, and I held my breath. I was focusing on Luke. Focusing on if he was actually going to be okay.

I heard a breath come from Ashton, and as he exhaled he spoke softly, “Should we get going?” He asked. It was getting late. It was about 4:30 p.m.

Frozen I stared at Luke and didn’t even bother to look to Ashton. I wanted to leave with Ashton. I wanted to run away from the problems, but I felt obligated to stay with Luke.

“Melanie,” Ashton approached me, squatted so he was below my level, and rested his arms on my legs. I looked to him, and his eyes examined my hurt eyes. “Babe, please… He’s going to be okay.” His hands moved to grasp mine, giving them a tight squeeze, before releasing them and standing up straight. “You’re good to him, and sometimes he doesn’t deserve it.”