Chapter 1

“Are you sure you want to go?” I stared out the window in the backseat of my family’s blue SUV. The rain was splattering small onto the dirty glass, and sent the previous droplets racing down until they reached the bottom of the glass. The rain was still thick even during this time of year. It was robust rain that left large spots wherever it decided to land; puddles forming like a lake against the window. The rain doesn’t at all surprise me. It rains nearly year-round here. “Melanie?” I continued to stare out the window in silence. The voice that spoke to me felt as distant as the dark clouds that covered the rising moon on the horizon. He was my father, and I felt guilty for not replying, but what was I going to say to him? There was nothing to say to him really. His voice has a small break in it as he spoke as if he lost it due to illness or hours of screaming. This was my fault. His eyes were hazel and had deep bags that tinted purple from his long hours of lost sleep. This was my fault. These bags under his eyes and developing white in his hair unjustly spoke his age, because just three months ago he looked so young and lively. This too was my fault.  We both seemed to glance at each other at once, he looking back to see if I was even listening, and me glancing forward to see if he dared to attempt to speak to me again. He quickly looked back to the wet road and gripped tightly onto the wheel. 

“Justin calm down,” The passenger spoke, my mother. Her expression glanced over to my father, and her hand reached to his shoulder where she gripped lightly. When she spoke it was a hoarse whisper; a whisper that was aimed to exclude me, “just leave her alone okay?” Letting her hand fall from my father’s shoulder and to her forehead where she rubbed the worrying lines on her face. These were only half my fault. My mom and my dad were a good couple, an odd couple, but a good couple. Justin is well over six feet tall, and Leanne was barely three inches over five feet. I am taller than her. They both had brown eyes, my father’s eyes lighter, and my mother’s like chocolate. I got her eyes. They’ve been married over thirty years and have two kids including me. I am the only one still in the house. My father tries his hardest to be a stable provider, and my mother tries to be the good housewife. They took good care of me. I was the trouble child. 

The car became quiet, and the only real sound was the windshield wipers over the voices on the radio. I could hear my mother’s breathing in front of me. She was nervous. My father kept his eyes focused on driving, but his body would adjust occasionally as if he was uncomfortable in his seat. He was nervous. My own mind was racing and my lips debated on parting to speak in response to both of their nerves. Opening my mouth lightly I breathed in the relatively cool air of the car and exhaled through my nose as my tongue wet my dry lips. Shifting in my seat I looked forward to the windshield. My fingers in my right hand dug at the skin in the palm of my left hand. I was nervous. “Tanya said I should get a change of scenery.” It was like another being spoke for me, gave me the courage to actually speak. My parents both glanced at me, my mother smiled. Tanya is my therapist. Both of my parents smiled, and my father looked back to the road. My mother continued to look at me as I continued, “I think this will be good for me—“

My father began to cut me off, “It will be, Mel!” He and my brother were the only ones who called me that. Sighing with a sense of being content he continued, “Shay and Felicity are very excited to have you…” He went on, on those two. Shay and Felicity Bennett lived in Sydney, Australia. Not in the Sydney that everyone assumed: opera house, harbor bridge, but in the suburbs to the west. My father does business with Shay, and we have become close family friends with their family. Have being to Australia before, I knew what I was getting myself into. This time was different only on the idea that I was traveling alone. Shay and Felicity had three kids: Harrison, Bridget, and Darcy. They were all in close age ranges; Harrison was my age. It would be a good vacation. 

“Think of this as your senior trip.” My mom added in with a cheery tone. She was right. I was going to be spending two months by myself in Australia. Two months. The third month the rest of my family is coming to join me. But it wasn’t for the reasons why I really wanted to go. I feel terrible thinking I was forced to go, but I was forced. It was my dad’s idea to send me to Australia due to how close we were with the Bennett family. About two years ago they offered me to visit, and as I was breaking and my father jumped on their offer. I needed a change in scenery. We pulled up to the airport. 

To be fair this wasn’t just my senior trip, this was my graduation gift, birthday gift, and probably next year’s Christmas all wrapped into one. It was a good gift, along with some new clothes to wear in the sun. Being from Seattle we had limited summer wear. My dad parked the car and the first to get out. I followed after him, and my mom was the last to get out. We both stretched before grabbing my bags from the back. Earlier they shipped my riding tack. I ride horses, and Felicity wanted to take me to their stable. I had a large black suitcase with a pink ribbon on one of the handles. This will become easy to find at baggage claim. My dad travels a lot, so I was used to the drill. My mom was already getting emotional as I grabbed my carry-on and slid the strap over my strong shoulder. Looking to her my eyes fell with grief. I always felt terrible leaving my mother’s side. My dad rubbed on her back as he pulled my rolling suitcase. Soothingly he spoke to her, telling her that I was an adult now, and I will be taken care of. This was true. I think my mom had a problem with not having a complete watch over me. She had to get over it. Yes I was missing the summer of my senior year, and yes I was miles away, and yes she couldn’t come rescue me when I needed help. That was the only part that ate at my brain and stomach. That’s what she was upset with. My parents were left alone, and they couldn’t rescue me if I needed help.

Checking my bag went smoothly, and so did going past security. My parents were allowed to come to the terminal with me. I was flying on United, which my dad had frequent miles on due to his business. During the walk my parents both spoke to me in haste tones. They wanted to get their point across. My father was checking the important things: my passport, my carryon, my money, my emergency money in case the other money got stolen. While my mother was demanding me to answer if I packed enough underwear… She means well. When we arrived to the empty area near the terminal I looked to my parents and sighed, “I have everything under control.” I said confidently, “I promise.” Setting my carry-on I slouched into the black leather seat. “This’ll be fun,” Smiling up to my parents I let my knees sway back and forth and collide, “Will you miss me?” 

My mother started to cry. Quickly she reached up to her flooding eyes and wiped them. “More than life itself, hon.” Her voice was breaking with emotion. She sat down next to me and put her arms around me, pulling me tightly into her embrace. I couldn’t breathe. My dad recognized this and told my mother to let go. She did and wiped her eyes. I smiled brightly to her and grabbed her hand. “Just don’t forget to call.” Her thumb stroked the top of my hand. 

“I’ll call you everyday, mom.” I told her, leaning close and pressing my forehead on hers and closing my eyes. “I promise.” My mom kissed my nose. Looking to my father I rose and embraced him tightly. He picked me up briefly as we embraced. He told me he loved me, and promised me that I would have fun. I trust him. We waited about a half an hour until my flight was called: One way trip from Seattle to Sydney. Eighteen hours and ten minutes. Grabbing my carry-on I gathered my ticket and smiled to my parents before walking to the walk-way. My dad looked happy, and my mom was crying. When my back was turned to them I rolled my eyes slightly and broke my statue face into a small smirk. My mom worried too much. The attendant scanned my ticket and told me to proceed forward and to have a safe flight. I was scared of the flight. Taking one last look back I blew my parents a kiss before walking in the carpeted aisle to where the plane was. Eighteen hours and ten minutes…