Chapter 33

So I was brave, or as brave as I thought I could be. I set my phone down in the side-table next to my bed and pulled my wavy hair back into a low loose bun. Stray hairs came out from the tie, but I let them hang. I slid on a pair of floral print flats and headed down the stairs. My heart started pounding as I heard the sound of people chatting when I opened up the door of my room.

I walked down the hallway with my palms sweating. Reaching I rubbed the palms of my hands on my dress and told myself over and over that this was going to be okay. It’s not like all of Harrisons’ friends were bound to be terrible just because a handful of them were terrible. Maybe these friends were nice.

I descended down the stairs and the aroma of grilled something filled my nose. There was light music playing. I think it’s jazz. This made the sounds of laughter and conversation more appealing, because now I didn’t have to pay attention to conversation I could just listen to the music. The music reminded me of Ashton, and that made me happy.

The dining room table was set with what looked like nice china along with colorful place mats. Colors alternated between white and blue, and the napkins were the opposite color of the placemat. There weren’t people in the dining room, but I could hear the voices of women coming from the kitchen near it.

My attention shifted in that direction. Sheepishly I walked in and smiled. Felicity was holding a glass of what looked like champagne. She looked in my direction and beamed. Immediately she complimented my appearance, telling me I looked lovely. I knew I didn’t. Everyone here looked so dressed up like we were at the country club.

I could feel the stares from the three other women that stood in the relatively spacious kitchen. They had nice blouses tucked into skirts with heels that were probably too high for their age. I noticed one of them, and as a glanced to her she gave me a slight smile. I could tell her smile was fake, so my expression was just as genuine.

When offered a glass of champagne I hesitated for a moment before taking it. Bringing the glass to my lips I could smell the liquid and felt sick. Again. This is the fourth time this has happened to me in the past week. I felt like I was going to throw up, so I didn’t drink it. The smell really nauseated me. Maybe I was getting sick?

Being polite I stayed in the kitchen for a little bit, talking with the women and Felicity. Well, I didn’t talk. I let them talk, and I only pretended to follow along with the conversation. I was good at that. When the time seemed right I excused myself and walked to the sliding glass door. I looked out into the yard where the men were standing as well as Harrison and his friends. I felt compelled to go outside due to the fact I didn’t want to come off as a snood, but I also didn’t want to feel uncomfortable.

My eyes shifted across the yard. I saw Bridget with a couple of other girls. Perfect. Gripping the handle to the door I slowly pulled it open. I kept my head down as I stepped out and shut the door behind me. I didn’t look at anyone, but I felt people look towards me. Swallowing hard I walked over to a small patch of grass the girls were on by the side of the house.

They were laying on blankets talking loudly. Their phones were out and I could tell they were obviously gossiping because as I approached they hushed down. Bridget looked up to me and smiled. I smiled back, “Whatcha girls doing?” I asked, leaning against the side of the house.

Bridget nervously fidgeted in her spot, reaching and rubbing the back of her neck, “Nothing.” Shrugging she looked to the other girls, “We’re just hanging out.”

I nodded. I got the drift. They didn’t want some 18-year-old downer hanging out with them. Shifting my weight so I stood back up straight I nodded, “Cool.” Wetting my lips I glanced over to where Harrison was with his friends. Opening my mouth to speak I looked to Bridget, “Well I just wanted to say hi is all…” My eyes examined over the girls who looked all similar with their tan skin and light colored hair.