9

Saturday

It's been a week since Ethan and I last spoke. Well, since I spoke to him. He's been texting me non-stop asking me "What did I do wrong?" and "Why did you walk away?" and "I thought we had a good time."

I'll admit I do feel really bad, but Carter was right. What if something bad does happen and I have to go back to Atlanta? Or what if we actually do date and he finds someone better, I'll want to move and start over again because I wouldn't want to see him and his new girl every day considering he lives next door.

On the bright side, Chris would be back any day now, and I've had a lot of time to focus on photography. I now have a small part of my wall dedicated to my new pictures while I've lived here. And I'm determined to get a lot more.

— — —

I grabbed a banana and my camera and went to  the beach, laying a blanket out on the sand. I admired the teenagers surfing throughout the water in front of me.

I put my camera close to my face scanning the water through the lens.

A tan, muscular boy riding the peak of the waves catches my eye and I snap some shots of him and others for my wall later. He was really good, even though I know barely anything about surfing.

I only got one lesson, from Ethan. I'll admit I kind of miss him, but it's for the better. I don't understand how he got me so wrapped around his finger in the matter of days. Suddenly, a masculine voice behind me rips me from my thoughts,

"There she is." He says.

I stand up and whip around to face a pair of smiling blue eyes. Carter.

"Hey!" I say hugging him.

"What's up lately?" He asks.

"Umm," I say deciding not to tell him he was right about Ethan, "Nothing much, how about you?"

"I heard about you and E." So much for that.

I looked down at my feet as my toes kicked up some grains of sand, "Yeah, I just didn't want it to end in heartbreak and end it while I could."

"I get it," he says without bragging, even though we both know cit was his advice. "Wanna get some lunch or something?" He asked.

"I actually have plans with a friend," I lie.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Girl, if you were wondering. I'm staying away from boys right now." I say to cure his confusion.

I feel a hand on my waist as I'm brought closer to Carter. I look him in the eyes wondering what the hell is happening when he speaks, "You're not staying away from me right now." He winks, not letting go of my waist.

I put my hand on his chest, pushing myself away and he removes his hand. "Carter, stop." I chuckle. What is he doing?

"Anyway," I said checking the time, "I need to go get ready to meet my friend. Bye!" I yell walking away.

I felt his eyes sink into me as I stride towards my porch, making sure to make my butt pop a little just to tease him.

— — —

I ended up making real plans with Callie. We haven't gotten to talk since Ethan and I ended things. Our coffee that next morning got cancelled due to me oversleeping. I'm a bad friend I know.

I'm sure she knows by now though, considering she's with his twin. But also because some how Carter found out, so who knows how many people actually found out.

I get in my soft yellow jeep and drive to the diner jamming solo to Post Malone. I'm pretty obsessed with him lately.

"So you seriously ended it because you thought it would end in heartbreak?" Callie asked with confusion spread across her face.

I put a fry in my mouth and shook my head, "Or what if he found a better girl and I was hopelessly in love with him. How could I watch them from my bedroom window?"

"Kylie, listen to me. From what I've seen in him and by what Grayson has told me, Ethan doesn't pursue just any girl. Girls have been after him for years but he doesn't pay them any attention. If he wants a girl, he goes for them and won't ever hurt them."

I looked down a fiddled with my hands, "That's not what Carter said. They've been friends for so long I figured he knew Ethan more than I did."

"Kylie don't you think Gray would know more? Just let me call him and ask him to come, we'll make him swear not to tell Ethan, and we can talk to him." I nod in response.

When Grayson arrived it took him and Callie a second to get situated, and by that I mean they had to kiss like 10 times before they even looked at me. I covered my eyes and groaned to get them to stop and they laughed.

Callie explained the situation to them as I took sips of my vanilla milkshake watching Grayson's facial expressions.

"Well Kylie, I know my brother better than anyone. And nothing is going to happen, whatever Carter told you is a complete lie. He totally wants in your pants." Grayson said smirking at the end.

I nod thinking about what he said. "So I need to fix it dont I?" I ask them and they both nod.

"He's been pretty down this week, I won't lie. But don't tell him I told you. I think he really had plans for you guys but when it ended he didn't really know what to do." He said.

"Yeah. I think I'm gonna talk to him."

"Don't think, do it." Callie says and Grayson agrees with her.

I smile thinking about how I can approach him. Grayson said he's been really down this week which hurt me, I thought he'd be fine.