Hospital blues

Luca's bedroom was large and dark. The bed was pushed into one corner and a desk with photos and stickers and posters plastered over one of the other walls. I skipped the food and told everyone I was going to sleep as this day just felt never ending. On the bedside table stood a cellphone with a tag that said don't forget to call me, L.

I immediately picked it up and dialed his number just for it to ring and ring. I tried once more but still no luck. I put the phone next to my head on the pillow and waited for sleep to take me convincing myself that Luca was just working and would phone me back.

                     ———————————

Luca's pov

The constant beep sound brings me up and I try and move. My chest hurts. I open my eyes and look at the hospital room and down at my chest and see the wound and everything comes back to me. We had split into groups of two and micheal and I had taken the back entry. As I unlocked the door I felt a gun against my back I heard Micheal say sorry and then I felt the pain of a bullet ripping in my chest.

Stefano opened the door walking in and he smiled as he looked at me. "Takes more than a bullet to kill you doesn't it brother?" I smile as he leans down to hug me. "Do you remember what happened?" I nod "micheal shot me." Stefano's face goes hard. "So I was right. He was gone when I found you" I nod trying to think why micheal would do this to me.

"How long have I been out?" And when the answer of two days hit I nearly jump out the bed trying to find my phone. Emily must be worried sick. Stefano hands it to me and excuses himself to give me some privacy and when she answers on the second ring I finally feel okay again.

"Do you have your pills with you? Take one out before I tell you what happened." I don't need her having an attack while I'm not there. "So I got shot." She starts asking questions and I answer as many as I can. By the end she is sobbing begging me to let her fly back and be with me and as much as I need her here with me I can't risk it. When the doctor arrives I say good bye to her on a promise to FaceTime as soon as the doctors have done all the tests.

The doctors told me I was lucky that the bullet went straight in and out and that it was on the wrong side to hit my heart. This makes no sense. Micheal is trained why would he aim there. Stefano came in saying that Dax will be here soon with a background check about Micheal.  My phone lit up and I accepted the FaceTime request that allowed Emily's face to open up on my phone. I tried to sit up but the pain was to bad.

"Hey sweetheart" I said and Stefano started laughing, he has mentioned that he finds it hilarious that I go soft when I talk to her. "Is that Stefano? Hand him the phone." I was sad to hand her over but I did as I was told. "What is wrong with you? You promised me you would take care of him. I am going to hit you as hard as I can when I get you." I laugh as Stefano hands me the phone back and then leaves.

We talk and it's taking everything in me not to tell her to come get me but that's what they want. Her here, unprotected. We say goodbye and I quickly screen grab a shot of her wanting to remember how she looked in my hoodie on my bed.

Dax and Stefano come in and take seats to talk to me. "So Michael is squeaky clean. Queens boy born and raised. Single mother and sister, soul provider for his family." I nod "Do you think it was money motivated?" Dax shakes his head negatively. "No payments into his bank accounts other than yours. But I did find out that his sister had not been to school in a week. Do you think they could have used her to blackmail him?" I nod thinking that it could be a possibility.