Chapter 21

Jamie slowly got up, and followed Lucy over the table where John and Laura were sitting. Evie was right behind him, tugging at his sleeve.

'Hey Junior,' Lucy said taking a seat. 'How're things?'

John frowned at her, and then put his arm around Laura. 'They're great Luce, why'd you ask?' Laura turned a perplexed face to them, and Jamie sat down giving her a weary smile.

'Oh I just heard you might have your hands full, that's all,' Lucy said with a broad smile. 'It must be hard for you fighting off all these girls.'

John shrugged. 'Nah, that isn't true, and even if it was, there's only one girl I'm interested in.' He exchanged a smile with Laura.

'Oh, that's not what I heard. I heard you took a certain somebody out the other night.' Laura moved back from John, her eyebrows knotted together.

'The only girl I've taken out is Laura, not that it's anything to do with you,' John said and Jamie could tell he was rattled. 'So why don't you do one okay, go back to your ginger boyfriend.'

'I don't have a boyfriend, but say I did, I wouldn't care if he was ginger. I'm not superficial like you.' Jamie groaned, exchanging a look with Evie, while John and Lucy descended into their usual arguing.

'Hold up,' Laura said raising her hand. Her quiet tone gave Lucy and John pause for thought. 'Lucy, why are you saying John took Debbie out?'

Lucy flushed. 'Cos everyone's talking about it Laura, it's common knowledge and I think you should know.'

Laura caught John's eye, and Jamie waited for him to deny it. John put his arm around Laura, squeezing her shoulder.

'Ignore her babe, she's just out to make trouble,' he said giving Lucy a filthy look. 'I saw Debbie the other night when I was out with the guys, I didn't take her out, I bumped into her. I guess the gossip merchants have nothing better to talk about.'

Lucy snorted and Laura turned her attention to Jamie. 'Do you believe him?' she asked.

'I guess,' Jamie stuttered while John nodded furiously at him. 'I mean I wasn't there, but yeah, John could have bumped into Debbie.' Lucy gave him a scornful look.

'I did bump into Debbie, she's a friend,' John insisted to Laura. 'I dumped her, I didn't want to hurt her even more by saying we couldn't be friends, I hope you understand.' He smiled reassuringly at her, and Lucy rolled her eyes.

'No one believes you, Junior,' she snarled but John didn't even glance at her, he kept his eyes on Laura.

'I don't want any trouble, John,' Laura said, her voice hesitant. 'Debbie could make my life difficult.'

'She won't babe, she's my friend, she won't do anything like that,' John said quickly. 'That's kinda why I was talking to her. To smooth things over.' Jamie and Lucy exchanged glances, and Evie giggled. Laura, however, seemed satisfied.

'Okay, if that's all it is. I don't want to be messed around.'

'You won't be, babe,' John assured her, and Jamie caught his eye. John looked down, and Jamie was almost certain he was spinning Laura a line.

                                                            ~~~~

Jamie made a beeline for his bedroom when he got home from school. His mom was back at work and he was back to walking home. John had offered him a ride but he didn't want to get too friendly with him again, the whole situation with Laura made him uncomfortable. He was pretty sure John wasn't being straight with her, and Laura was his friend first and foremost.