Prologue

Not many children believe in Jack Frost

"All good things come to those who wait, Jack,"  North had once said with his strong Russian accent, and had then offered him a pitiful smile.
The thing is, Jack was fed up of waiting. He'd thought becoming a guardian was what he needed, that it would mean the children of the world would start to realise that snow doesn't come from clouds, but the end of a staff. 
His staff was once just a stick off of a tree, with the end twisted into a curve. But he had once, in his past life, used it to save his sister from the icy water of a frozen lake, and henceforth it became, essentially, the core of his power.
What kind of idiot thought the clouds could produce snow, anyway? He had thought bitterly,  ice immediately forming along the wooden fence as he dragged his hand along it.
It was a cold Winter's night, but the cold never really bothered him anyway. ( ;) ) The moon was blocked out by the masses of the irritating, credit-taking clouds.
It was an especially dark night. How was he to see the dimly glowing eyes watching the white-haired, pale-skinned guardian from a distance?
Jack arrives and stops outside of a familiar two-floored household. He visited it often.
He flew to the front window.
Inside, was a man in his late fifties, his face full of smiles and happiness as he gazed upon the three 'children' sat nearby him at the dinner table. His brown hair had nearly completely greyed now, but his earthy brown eyes had not changed. There were two other adults inside. A beautiful woman, with partly red partly greyed hair and green eyes, a few years older than the man. Another lovely looking lady, whom looked quite young for her age, her blue eyes, too, full of excitement. Her blond 'spaghetti' hair, as the man liked to tease her, hadn't changed. Funny how different two people can look, depending on whether or not they decided to have kids.
The man's wife, and the man's sister.
Jack sighed softly, pressing his hand against the glass as he watched the happy family chatting and eating.
Jamie had been his first believer. He forgot a few years later than his friends, in his young-adult years rather than his teenage ones, but he still forgot.
Jamie's kids had believed in him, too. They were 17, 16 and 13 now, though. They'd forgotten, too.
Everybody had forgotten.
Even little Sophie, who sat with them now.
As a frost covers the window he'd touched, a sudden shiver ran down his spine. Not a shiver of cold, though. A shiver of uncertainty, a shiver of... fear.
His eyes narrowed at a voice that seemed to echo around him, as if surrounding him, forcing him to listen.
"I see loneliness is still your only friend, Frost."
He turned sharply to be met by the dark figure, immediately aiming the staff towards him.
Pitch Black was no Guardian. He was immortal, yes, but helping children was never in his mindset.
His hair was as dark as the night around him. His skin a grey-like colour, and his eyes a glowing glare of gold in the darkness. His mouth was twisted upwards into a smirk as he watched the younger boy, his eyes dancing with amusement.
"And yours. How are you... here," Jack said through gritted teeth, glaring at the villain.
Last time he'd been around, Sandy was 'killed', and the other Guardians lost their trust in him. Not memories he wished to relive.
A cold laugh escapes into the beginning of his words, "You can never kill one of our kind, Jack. Immortals cannot die. You should know that."
Jack pauses to process this, still staring him down, ready to fire ice if and when necessary. Then he asks, "What do you want?"
"Really, Jack, figure it out," Pitch sneered down at him, folding his arms.
Jack realised far too late what (or rather, whom) he was after.
By that time, strange black sand had snatched the staff away from him, and held tightly at Jack's wrists.
"What the..." Jack struggles against it wildly, trying to pull away from it.
"Oh, Jack," The Boogeyman laughs slightly. "Fifty years stuck in a cave gives one a lot of time to practice. To learn some new... skills." He paused to emit more of the darkened sand from his form, which wrapped around Jack's mouth, constricting his ability to speak. Jack made muffled noises of angered protest as Pitch takes the staff into his hands, running his hands along the wood with a smirk, before looking at the helpless Guardian.
"This is going to be so much... fun."