XVIII

When the sleigh lands again, Elsa is stood alone

The three exchange glances, and walk towards her, still holding their weapons.
Elsa looks to them and sighs softly, "Guys.. I'm really sorry... I didn't have a choice."
"You didn't look like you were under his control," Merida mutters.
"I wasn't. I'm not going to lie to you. Whilst I was with them.. I saw Jack. There's a reason our last plan didn't work. It's because that's not what Pitch did to him. Whatever it was, it was killing him. It was scary.. like the darkness was consuming him," Elsa murmurs, hugging her arms to her chest.
"The first time we saw him, the only dark thing about him was the black hair. This time, he had black eyes, black hair and greying skin," Hiccup realises softly.
"Yeah," Elsa nods to him, a look of gratitude in her eyes. "Pitch told me that if I helped him, he'd release him."
"Where is he, then? Pitch stuck to his word, right?" Rapunzel's soft voice came from beside Hiccup.
Elsa shrugs and looks down, "He released him, from his state anyway. But he didn't release him."
"You should have let him die. Then the Guardians wouldn't be gone," Merida states, putting her arms on her hips.
"He is a guardian, remember? Besides, Jack would have been able to do it without me. Me helping made very little difference, other than helping Jack," Elsa protests softly.
Hiccup pats a growling Toothless, who had now landed, before looking to her. "So what do you suggest we do, then."
"What do you think you're doing? She just attacked us!" Merida shoots him a look.
"Giving her a chance. One chance," Hiccup looks back to her. "But we'll keep our eye on her."
Rapunzel was ducking her head.
"Fine."
Hiccup looks back to her.
"I managed to figure out where their base is. Jack should be there. We could break him out," Elsa suggests quietly.
"And the Guardians?"
"He should know how to deal with that, maybe bring them back. It's happened before."
"What?" Hiccup tilts his head.
"Last time they battled, Pitch killed the Sandman. But in their final battle, when they finally started winning, he came back, more powerful than before. Jack can tell us how it happened, and maybe we can do it again."
"Okay, then. Where's the base?"
"It's, um... in Australia..."
"Australia?! We're in France!"
"We could use the sleigh?"
"No, we can't. The reindeers are starting to fade, too. Without belief, they won't be able to go that far," Rapunzel answers, frowning. "Don't any of you watch Christmas movies?"
"No?" "What?" "I wish I had.."
"What about Toothless?" Merida frowns.
"What about him?" Hiccup glances at her.
Toothless spun his head to look at them so quick he probably got whiplash.
"He's a dragon, isn't he? He can fly, can't he?"
"What, carrying all four of us?"
Toothless stares at Hiccup in protest.
"Yeah."
"He doesn't have to," Rapunzel murmurs noticing the dragon's expression.
"But how else are we gonna get there?"
"You're right. I think.. I think he could hold all of us."

Yooo!! Sorry, another shorter chapter. At least I posted with plenty of hours to spare!
But yeah, right now I'm super glad because we found out my dog doesn't have to be put down. Long story short, we had the option to either force her through a hard surgery that would be very expensive and cause her a lot of suffering, or we could put her down. But the vets found another option that won't cause her suffering, so Yay!!!!! 🐶
I can't believe how far I've come into this story though. I'm usually terrible at productivity - anyone who read my Bittersweet fanfic would know. It literally took over a year for my lazy butt to finally finish it. But with this one, I'm publishing a chapter every day! What a miracle.
Anyway. I hope you're all having a great day, and I'll speak to you soon!
- Wolfie x