July 8, 1952

Lauren's POV

Only just a few days into reading Grandma Liv's journal and my mind was already going into overtime. An overwhelming hunch welcomed itself to me, which I could not shake for anything.

There was just something about the Christopher guy that caused such a deep feeling, something that I could not ever begin to explain. Small inklings ravished through my brain but I calmed myself, it wasn't the time for any assuming.

I turned down a movie and dinner invite from some old friends, and mama was of course at work, leaving me and the journal to become even more acquainted.

**

7/8/52

I've already started to skip entries, pity me. Today was interesting to say the least. Everyone was out on their duties, even Millie picked up a job babysitting Pastor Sutton's new bundle of joy, Baby Sampson. What a darling he is, just the thought excites me for motherhood one day.

While everybody was gone, I decided to walk down to Joe's for some company. Not too long after I got there, Christopher arrived. I swear it's almost as if he can feel me coming or something.

I guess you can today was the first official driving lesson, although it didn't go over too well. But Christopher didn't mind at all. He told me that he likes spending time with me, I like spending time with him too.

I've never laughed so much in my life, which is quite intoxicating. It's good, and I like feeling happy.

Despite today's fun, it also took one expected turn, a close call that I never saw coming.

**

"Ya best be glad daddy ain't open up the door!" Mildred yelled, reflecting back on the incident from a few nights ago. "Whatcha doin' leavin' with that Christopher anyway?"

"Millie he's harmless." Olivia assured, sensing her concern. "That boy ain't gonna do nothin' to me."

"Well he seems awfully fresh. Just answer me one thing."

"That depends on whether I like the question."

"Are ya likin' him or somethin'?" asked Mildred.

"I haven't thought too much about that." Olivia answered. "But he is nice lookin', don't ya think?"

"He's decent I guess. But ya gotta be careful, we don't want ya stomach round here protruding out, daddy may be liable to kill em'."

Olivia huffed and rolled her eyes. "It's nothin' like that so don't go round here sayin' that. And don't ya gotta be goin' anyway? It's almost noon."

"I am goin' now." said Mildred. "You just stay ya behind at this house and don't be out ridin' with ya new friend."

With a quick peck to her sister's cheek, Mildred left for her work journey.

Once she was out of her sight, Olivia waited fifteen minutes before setting off on her stroll to Joe's.

**

"What ya havin' to drink?" Joe asked Olivia as she twisted side to side on the bar stool.

"Now ya know I ain't bring no money with me Joe."