October 18, 1952

Lauren's POV

"Let's just talk about this." Keith pleaded. "Before making any rash decisions."

"Rash?" I questioned. "You think my choice to end this is rash when you're the one that decided to be unfaithful? First you lie and then you cheat, oh yeah I'm being really rash alright."

Disgusted, betrayed, and hurt were the only three words I could think of to describe what I was feeling. I wasn't just losing my boyfriend, I was losing a friend. That's what tore me apart the most.

"What the hell else do you want me to say Lauren? I've begged and pleaded. I was under the influence you know that!"

Shaking my head, I handed him a box of his items that I collected over the years.

"You put yourself in an awful situation, and did the ultimate no. Alcohol isn't a valid excuse, and as a young woman, I won't take you back just to give you room to do it again. So, it's best that you just go."

"Lauren, please."

Twisting the handle I paused.

"Goodbye Keith."

**

Awakening to a tear stained pillow and a stuffy nose, I eased up to check my phone. Mom was at work and called to check on me, Keith had messaged me several times.

But I didn't want to think about him. I wanted him to be away from my thoughts as much as possible. So after responding to her, I grabbed Grandma Liv'a journal from it's hiding place, flipping to the bookmarked entry.

**

10/18/52

What started off as a good day, certainly took a turn for the worst ......

**

"And this one. Do ya like it? Millie picked it out down at Burnett's in town."

Olivia gasped softly, admiring the head piece embellished with gold and white flowers

The day was Olivia's 18th birthday, and she along with her family couldn't be more excited.

"Can ya believe it Lawerence?" Louise chuckled with glee. "Our youngest baby has gon and grown up on us. Seem like yesterday she was this tiny ol' thang, just carryin' on hollerin' to be held."

Lawerence nodded on with a smile, but his mind was elsewhere.