August 7, 1952

Author's Note: Surprise! An update especially for Dwebb88 and 4evaKendra 💜 Enjoy!

Lauren's POV

"One grande Caramel Frappuccino for Lauren!" The Starbucks cashier called out.

"Thank you." I took my drink placing it down unto the table where my friend Jess sat comfortably inside the booth.

"Jess with the mess, anything to catch me up on?"

Flipping her locs, Jess laughed while removing her sunglasses. "Girl, Keith didn't tell you? The DNA test came back and Jordan found out that ole girl's baby ain't even his."

"No way."

"Mhm, had him on child support and everything."

"Tragic." My head shook as I eased grandma Liv's journal from my bag.

"What's that you got?" asked Jess.

"It's my grandmother's journal."

"Miss Olivia?"

"Mhm." I nodded. "Found it packed in her storage that mom and auntie got out and I've been reading it ever since."

"Is it interesting?" Jess asked while coming over to sit next to me.

"Well I'm only a few entries in but it's intriguing so far, and she's met some guy named Christopher."

Jessica eased the journal open where my hand made book mark rested. "Mind if I take a read too?"

"Not at all." I laughed. "Let's see what happens next."

**

8/7/52

It's been almost an entire month since I've made an entry, pity me once again. We're down to the last month of summer since school starts up in September. I'm excited to be a senior this year, but sad because Christopher will be going back to college.

Speaking of Christopher, we've grown much closer. Today he took me to a carnival and we had a good time. Our friendship has blossomed into something more, even though this one situation almost stopped everything before it could even begin.

But instead of bristling up and escalating the problem like most fellas around here, he stayed calm with me and cleared up all false accusations, which is what I wanted to hear.

And afterwards? He asked me a question and did something that I did not expect.

Even while writing this I'm trying my best to believe all of it.