December 12, 1952

Author's Note : Mild language warning.

12/12/52

Friday.

Another Friday it was consisting of another ditch and another lie that Olivia had to add under her belt. She awakened earlier than usual, an hour to be exact, because it wasn't just any ordinary day, it was special.

The day was Christopher's 21st birthday. So to celebrate the occasion, she along with he and Joe would be traveling to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for a day of fun.

Yes, fun was the idea. But nothing would prepare any of them for the events the day would ultimately bring.

Skirt zipped, blouse on, and feet in shoes, she grabbed her navy blue cardigan to throw on and her satchel as well before heading downstairs.
But before her grip could grasp the doorknob, Lawerence's voice demanded every ounce of attention.

"Ya mother says ya gon be comin' in late this evenin'?"

Sighing with her back to her father, she answered, "Yes."

"Again?"

"Right. Again."

He grunted. "Step into the kitchen."

Growing irritated, she did what she was told.

"Ya know Livie, this here is becomin' quite repetitive."

"What?"

"What?" Lawrence exclaimed. "Ya lost?"

"To be frank yes, I'm not understandin' what ya tryin' to say

"To be frank yes, I'm not understandin' what ya tryin' to say."

"It seems that there is always a reason lately for ya to come home late. Are ya really stayin' after school or at the library studyin'?"

Frowning, Olivia became highly annoyed due to his questioning. Although she knew the excuses used were indeed false, she wasn't in the mood to be interrogated.

"Daddy if I say that's what I'm doin' then that's exactly what I'm doin'. I ain't got no reason to lie to ya. Ya always preachin' bout good marks and keepin' my head in my books. Why is that such an issue now?"

"It ain't." Lawrence assured and paused to sip his drink. "I just want to be sure ya doin' just that and not gettin' in no trouble. I've been young before Livie, the possibilities are endless.

Completely unfazed, she spoke.
"I won't be too late, I'll wrap things up and get home as quickly as I can.

Sternness fading, his features softened as he believed every word said from his daughter.

"I'm workin' over, but when ya come in help ya mother out in the kitchen. Now go on and have a good day at school."

**