December 25, 1952

Author's Note: Hello! It's been awhile I must admit so welcome back! I do apologize for the lack of updates with this, but as we all know, life happens. Here's a new entry, it is not the longest but I had to go ahead with this chapter because I felt so bad. Although this isn't my favorite, I sure do hope that you're able to enjoy and gear up for the upcoming chapters. As always, thank you for your support! 💜

Lauren's POV

"Ma'am do you have a Kroger's card?" The cashier asked my mother as she rung up the groceries.

"I do!" My aunt Elizabeth offered. "Use mine."

Groceries traveling to be bagged, a familiar voice softly spoke, coming from the end of the register.

"Mama C? Miss Elizabeth? It's nice to see y'all." A bit startled, Keith said. "Lauren it's good to see you too."

A bit dry, "Hey Keith."

Aunt Elizabeth leaned over to mama's ear, "Ain't he the one who cheated?"

"Mhmmm." she answered. "Hi Keith, nice to see you as well."

Sliding the final item down to be bagged, mama and Aunt E walked off as I followed behind, but Keith's hand reached out to hold onto mine.

"What you doing?"

"Can we talk?"

"We are talking."

Sucking his teeth, "C'mon Lauren you know what I mean."

Quickly, mama turned around as my aunt soon did the same.

In no time, her glare was in full effect, nearly burning holes into Keith's flesh as she stared on.

"Is there an issue?"

Glancing over to her and back at me he replied, "No ma'am."

He wouldn't dare to look her in the eyes, hell no one could when mama gave you that look. A soft honey brown with small specs of green, the prettiest eyes one could ever see.

Except when she feeling mean, then
they're just downright frightening.

"Lauren?"

"It's cool ma, just go on to the car and I'll be out soon."

"Very well." she stated, focusing in on him once more before exiting through the automatic doors.

"Great. Now your mom hates me."

"She doesn't hate you Keith, she doesn't believe in hating anyone. But she doesn't like you right now. Can't blame her though, I wouldn't like the young man that cheated on my daughter either."

"Lauren look, I-"

"What? You're sorry? You've said that a thousand times already."

"I know but I really am. I never would intentionally hurt you."

"You should've thought about me when you decided to go out and get drunk, surrounding yourself with the wrong company. Now look where we are."

"And I don't want us to no longer be here. Please, tell me what can I do to make this right?"

I confessed, "I don't know Keith, I really don't. But what I do know is that we shouldn't be having this type of conversation at your job, just go back to work before you end up not just alone but jobless too."

**

Back home I found myself sprawled over my bed while my bare feet rested underneath the jersey sheets. Reflecting, I toyed with the possibility of reconciling with Keith.