twelve

his room was stuffy, filled with the artificial light of his floor lamp. it smelled heavily of gooey hair gel that dan had used to tame his curls without straightening them, and cologne lingered in the air too.

it was new year's eve, one of their final days before christmas holiday would be over, and possibly their friendship would be over too. dan still agreed to meet the lester's.

he tugged on the ends of his water colour button up, adjusting the collar so that it lay perfectly along his collar bone.

dan, you're sure you want to do this? i mean, be logical, think unbiased. you're ready? phil had cooed the night before.

but dan was determined, he was going to meet phil's family if it were the last thing he ever did.

"im going to phil's," dan declared, heading for the front door.

no one stopped him, they just allowed him to come and go as he pleased, more than likely hoping he'd never come back.

air whipped around fiercely as dan wrapped himself farther into his black jacket for warmth. he intended to keep the jacket on long enough for them to not instantly send he and phil out.

he arrived at phil's, many other cars were parked around outside, and once he got to the door he could hear the gentle buzz of numerous conversations. he knocked, taking a step back from the door so that he didn't seem overly excited.

a women answered, ushering dan in. she was older, and she certainly wasn't phil's mum. so he decided to scan the house for phil.

dan found him in the kitchen, sipping a glass of champagne with the most worried look plastered on his face.

"you-you actually came?" he questioned, standing up and walking towards daniel.

phil looked gorgeous. he had on black jeans with nice black shoes, a pale pink button up with a sparkly pink blazer over top. he looked like he belonged somewhere far more extravagant than a new year's house party.

"well, yeah i came. why wouldn't i?" dan shrugged, giving phil a thoughtful hug.

"just worry, that's all. i'm sweating bullets!" phil declared, pulling dan around, weaving through the crowds of people that were chatting around his house. "let's go to my room for a minute."

dan was led up a set of grey carpeted stairs, and the first door to the left of it was the same grey colour. when the door opened, it revealed a messy room with a jumbled green and blue bed.

"sorry, i'm not exactly organized, and i'm clumsy. i promise it's not always like this." phil laughed, kicking small objects out of dan's path.

dan maneuvered his way to phil's bed and sat down next to phil awkwardly.

"so," phil trailed on, "we're really doing this, huh?"

"yep." dan nodded, setting a hand on phil's shaking leg. "it's gonna be okay. we're gonna be okay."

the boys talked for a few minutes, working up the courage to begin working dan into the equation.

"i'm ready." phil breathed, standing up and taking dan's hand once more.

they descended the stairs and dan's grip on phil tightened. they wandered until they found phil's mum.

"hi, philip! oh! you must be daniel! from the phone!" she cheered, shaking dan's hand over-kindly.

she was short and her hair was a brownish red colour, she had green eyes and had a pleasantly cheery face. she looked like she was a few years younger than she really was; it was probably her smile that gave her a youthful glow.