nine

school was out, finally. and dan couldn't stop thinking about phil. not surprising, but true enough. his mind kept floating to the gifts that phil had apparently gotten him and how close he and phil had been getting lately.

it was december twenty-sixth. the day after christmas, and dan had just woken up when his phone pinged with a notification.

goodmorning, my love. i hope you slept well. welcome to your day of christmas magic. there are five gifts scattered around the town, and one big gift waiting with me. you must find them, but, obviously with help. at each place you shall find a riddle which holds inside, the clue to your next prize. at the end of the tunnel, awaits myself and loads more. here is your first clue : sweet and french, crafted by the hands of old women, lies a gift that will make you smitten. find it and you shall be, one step closer to finding me. good luck, danny boy. ❤️ - phil.

this obviously meant that dan's first gift was somewhere in de flurri's chocolate shop.

it was nine a.m, de flurri's has just opened. dan jumped up and threw on clothes as fast as he could. he didn't bother saying goodbye, before running out the front door. he sped his way to the small shop and prayed he hadn't ran there for nothing.

when dan opened the door, a woman handed him a bag and another threw some glitter up into the air for him. they cheered and had daniel read the riddle out loud.

looks like someone found out where their first gift was. if your impatient, you can open it now. but, if i were you, i'd wait until you find me. here's your clue to the next present : at the place i first saw you, is another thing to do. for in this gift you shall find, a small note hidden inside. once you find this you shall be, three steps away from finding me. you're on the right track. ❤️ - phil.

the next place he had to go was the high school. all the women smiled fondly at dan, sending him on his merry way. it was almost like they didn't know who he was.

luckily, the school wasn't too far from downtown where de flurri's sat, so dan arrived rather fast. and sure enough, on the steps of the school, sat another small bag for dan. he honestly felt like a little kid as he ran up to the bag and tried to find the card without seeing his gift.

congratulations on finding your second present! i'm hoping this isn't too hard, i really can't wait for you to see me! here's the hint to your third item : atop a roof is where it stays, close to where we laid that day. when you came to me crying with fright, on that cold december night. go to it and you shall be, two steps away from finding me. hope you're making decent time. ❤️ - phil.

dan's next gift was on top of phil's roof. phil lived about twenty minutes from the school, so dan hoped he could get there without dying of exhaustion. when he got there, there was another bag, tapped to the grey exterior of phil's roofing. dan climbed his way up and snatched the bag. he then hurried back down before opening it.

someone is awful clever! i hope you're having a good time. your second to last gift is far, so here your hint : in a place with a bad past, lies the gift second to last. across the street is a car, that will take you since it's far. to the place where it lies, somewhere filled with starry skies. find this gift and you shall be, very close to finding me. hope the cab guy i called for you isn't a total creep! ❤️ - phil.

this one took dan a moment, but after some careful thinking, he soon realized that his fourth gift was at hey, moon cafe. there was a blue cab sitting across the street from dan. he got in and told the man where to drive. he drove, and when dan went to pay him, the man told him that phil had already paid for dan's ride there and back to his next clue.