sixteen

white

that's all dan saw was the blistering sight of the atrocious colour, that atrocious colour.

the school's big, front double-doors flung open to reveal the hellacious picture of public education. maybe the education part wasn't so bad, but the whole 'public, in front of god and everyone' thing was awful.

someone 'accidentally' slammed straight into dan's shoulder, causing him to jerk back and hit someone else in their shoulder too. it was a forceful hit, and it left dan thinking with his skin unreasonably tingly.

"watch where you're going." the person shot at him, cutting through his flesh with their eyes.

"s-sorry." dan whispered, picking up pace on his walk to his first period

then he saw the familiar colour of red, and the blazing stare of michael garrett.

he scoffed at dan as he passed. "i can't believe you had balls enough to actually show up today."

"'to actions little less to words inclined.'" dan quoted as he shoved past michael as fast as he possibly could.

no one would really know that dan just quoted horace, all because he didn't know what else to say. the only words that crossed his mind in that moment were fuck. you. michael. garrett.

all throughout class, his mind was occupied. he couldn't focus. despite walking into the school with phil by his side, he still felt totally alone in entering this realm of hell. things certainly weren't easy for phil either, but something about all of this gave dan bad feelings; something bad was going to happen.

he didn't pay any attention to any of his classes, and by his fifth period, french, he was looking at pictures to post on his aesthetic account rather than doing his work.

"monsieur!" his teacher scolded. "traville, s'il vous-plait!"

that was his only escape, a place where no one knew it was him behind the screen. he could vaguely comment what was troubling him, and thousands of people were gushing to help him and support him.

if they only knew

buzz

buzz

buzz

dan dragged his eyes up to the top of his phone screen, only to see phil's name appear.

philly💜😊 : i hope you're doing alright

philly💜😊 : i need you right about now

philly💜😊 : wish i wasn't stupid and was actually in some of your classes :(

dan held back a small laugh as a tiny smile spread across his lips. he had to hold it back, because he knew it'd be short lived.

he bit his lips as he typed his response to phil.

you're not stupid, just a little...touched ;), and i'm okay i guess. i could really use some time with you too❤️

"monsieur howell!" his teacher, mrs. neal yelled. "ta mobile, s'il vous-plait!" she demanded, holding her hand out to take dan's phone from him, but dan turned it off and put it in his book bag instead. she sighed heavily. "merci."

dan reluctantly finished his french class work that consisted of him pointing out body parts that had small arrows pointing to them

la tete

le doigt

le cours

before dan knew it, he was tapping his pencil on the desk's surface, and praying for the sequence of bells to dismiss him. he had half of his sixth period, lunch, then the other half. it just so happened that phil had the same sixth as dan so they could at least see each other then.