twenty

dan howell was breathing heavy as he pulled the black suit jacket onto his slumped shoulders. to be certain he wasn't slouching, he stood in front of the mirror and straightened his back numerous times.

prom night.

it was his first prom, his first school dance, and he was going with phil lester. if you told dan eight months ago that he'd be going to his junior prom with phil lester, he never would've believed you.

eight months ago everyone was under the impression that phil was a black, who was happy and silly and loved. now, people know that phil is pink (they all forgot he was even "black.") they also know now that phil is indeed not happy, and he's no longer popular.

despite being mentally miserable, phil didn't mind his not being popular anymore. he enjoyed being with dan, whether that meant popular or not. he had finally found his voice, and dan was so elated to see phil standing up for himself.

dan walked down the stairs to his living room, fluffing up his curly hair a bit.

"oh, dan!" adrien gawked, running to hug dan. "you look amazing!"

dan felt his cheeks warming up slowly as he hugged adrien back. "thank you, but i feel like i'm missing something." dan said quietly.

"glitter!" alex cheered, running towards dan with a bag of multicolored, chunky glitter. "can i put some on your cheeks?"

dan thought for a minute, but he nodded excitedly. he watched as alex dabbed on a small amount of cosmetic glue to his cheek bones, then he sprinkled on a hefty dose of the shimmer.

the younger boys stepped back from dan, both staring at him with amazement.

"if phil doesn't try to marry you on the spot after seeing you tonight, he's stupid!" alex proclaimed, throwing his arms around adrien happily.

adrien clasped his hands together. "look, he's blushing!" adrien beamed. "you look so happy, dan. i'm glad you're finally enjoying yourself."

just then, someone knocked on the door. alex and adrien rushed dan upstairs so he could make an "entrance." he obliged and went up to his room.

dan opened his bedroom door, leaving it open and looking in the mirror again. alex was right, the glitter completed the look; bringing out dan's freckles and the twinkle in his eyes. he looked down at his outfit, his black dress pants were seamless, as was his suit jacket. he wore a black button up, secretly short sleeved incase he got hot. daniel only noticed one problem: his tie was still water colour.

"dan! phil's here, come downstairs!" dan heard adrien yell up the stairs.

he adjusted his jacket one last time, and began his trek down the steps.

as he descended, he caught glimpse of philip.

he looked stunning. absolutely stunning.

phil had pushed his black hair up into a quiff on the top of his head, revealing his crystal eyes that sparkled with happiness. his suit was perfectly pressed, and the tie he had chosen popped against the white button up he had on. it was a beautiful shade of warm pink. the boys had even given phil a touch of pink glitter on his cheeks as well.

"glory." phil whispered, the ends of his lips pulling upwards as he watched dan come down the last three stairs. "you look so...gorgeous, dan."

dan bit his lower lip, heat swirling below his eyes.

"so do you, lester. you look impeccable." dan gaveled, intertwining his fingers with phil's.