fourteen

life had become an absolute mess. michael made focusing on dan, and any other thing that was important to phil, impossible. he had phil in the weakest spot of his life, and he knew it for damn sure. he hadn't told anyone about dan and phil yet, but he threatened to nearly everyday, and he had phil shaking with anticipation for the day that he would walk into school and never be the same again.

"it looks like it may rain today." dan stated, walking up beside phil on the beige pavement that led the boys back to their homes.

"yeah." phil murmured. "maybe we should skip the park today, since it might rain and all."

phil saw dan's shoulders slump a tad. "okay, did you want to come to my place?"

phil huffed. "i would dan, you know i would, but i can't. i think i just need sometime to breathe, and take a nap." he laughed, putting an arm around dan. "you didn't do anything wrong, before you start worrying, danny boy."

dan bowed his head quietly, watching as phil turned away from him and walked up to his front door. before he disappeared inside, he turned to wave at dan, whom smiled and waved back.

when the front door hit the frame, phil felt his body exhale. another day in which he avoided getting his private information reported to all of his school.

"your mother is at work." mr. lester deadpanned, eyeing phil as he meekly shuffled to the staircase. "i thought i told you to stop talking to that boy?"

phil gulped, stepping back into his father's view point, and hoping that was as far as the conversation would go.

"did i not?" his father asked. "did i not tell you to stay away from him?"

"y-you did, yes." phil stammered, trying to remain small and unchallenging.

his father stood up and walked over to the window, his eyes trailing off after dan as he trudged his way home slowly.

"then why the hell, are you still talking to him after school?! did i not make myself clear?!" mr. lester bellowed, stepping towards phil, who shrunk in on himself.

phil wished that the floor would open up and swallow him whole, take him away from this situation.

"b-because," phil sputtered, searching for the words to communicate just why he was still talking to dan. "because he is a person, dad. he deserves as much respect as you or i do!"

his father raised a hand to slap phil but phil caught his father's hand and took a quivering breathe.

"we are pinks! he is a rainbow!"

phil shoved his dad's hand away and got ready to walk out.

"he can't control his colour! do you think he chose to be that way?! why judge him about something he can't change!" phil screamed, feeling his throat contract in.

his dad stood back, slack jawed. phil shook his head, and darted out his front door.

"philip michael!" his dad yelled after him. "get your ass back here!"

phil pretended not to hear his father's booming voice as he sprinted away down the middle of the road. eventually, he caught back up with dan.

"change of plans, danny boy." phil panted, throwing his arm around dan's shoulders. "turns out i would much rather spend time with you."

dan's lips curled up as he rested his head on phil's shoulder. "if you still want time to breathe, you can lay in my room and take a nap while i practice piano."