Chapter 19

Song: City of Stars by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

Falling back hours is hard to adjust too. Just missing vacation made me miss everyone who was still back there. 

I left my bags in my car and grabbed my other backpack, and off I went into the hospital. I walked in to be greeted by a hospital scent as usual, people walking around with those in the hospital gowns, or in regular clothes, doctors talking and walking with other doctors or residents. 

I showed my badge and went to the changing room to dress professional, thankfully I was always kept an extra pair of clothes here, grabbing the black jeans and burgundy red dress shirt, I changed into them and put everything else in my locker, taking one last look in the mirror, the colour made me remember Colton. 

I ignored the lonely feeling and went to the front desk and saw some co-workers walking around, passing by me, some stopped to congratulate me along with some hugs. I got handed a file and saw Sammy walking around the hallways, her small face with a frown, making her brown eyes dull and life less.

"Hi Sammy," I kneeled down and whispered, and saw her head jolt up super quick before bolting towards me and hugging me, making me smile, I smiled back and looked up to see Mrs. Kenzie.

"Dr. Bradley, I heard about your accomplishment, congratulation darling, but why are you back? Aren't you meant to be there the whole time?" Mrs. Kenzie said, side hugging me and holding Sammy in her arms.

"Thank you madam, but I got called here," I answered, cutting myself from explaining the whole scenario. 

"That's sad," Sammy sighed out, making my heart break a bit. 

I nodded and excused myself to see where everyone was. I asked the desk and got told they were in surgery, so I headed to the observing glass to see how they were doing. 

Leaning against the rail I watched them remove an old liver that wasn't in the greatest condition, followed by a new one. Transplant. 

"Bradley," I heard my name get called, I glanced to my right to see Glenn walking towards me and joining my side. 

"Sir," I replied.

"I'm honoured that you would come back," he spoke honestly, guilt in his voice.

"I keep my promises, whatever I am asked, I'll do," I whispered, watching them work, but got cut off by the heart monitor beating fast and sirens going off, indicating a health malfunction. 

"He's not accepting it," I said to myself, watching them save the patient. 

Soon the sound stopped, Jane watching his health stable for a bit, before telling them to close him up.

"You do know that you're still on vacation?" Glenn said.

I looked at him in astonish, then why did you all me back? I thought.

"I know I called you to come back, but we just need you back for a week, then you can return to vacation," Glenn added, making me nod and head out, due to being paged.

I got a buzz from my pocket indicating a text, I checked who texted me and saw it was Zoe, telling me everyone misses me and how they met Colton's family. Wait what? Guess I'll have to call Zoe after work, I texted back saying 'nous Skype ce soir' (we Skype tonight), and left it at that.

I went over to my neighbours to pick up Kiko, they're a lovely family and I knew them very well because their little daughter always got hurt from sports, so I always checked up on her and in return, I asked for them to watch Kiko, along with bringing a collectable souvenir mug for Mrs. Bloom, she had a whole China cabinet of all the places they have been, she tried looking for a specific one in Berlin, but didn't have the one she wanted. I found the one she talked about and got it for her.