19. Better this Way

(A/N: I got bored and made a meme. I wanna kms now.)

'Maya's PoV:

I remained silent in my bunk, my knees tucked close to my chest. I haven't said a word since I woke up because the dream I had was utterly disturbing.

I saw another version of myself, not in the maze, but in a room surrounded by transparent walls and huge screens that displayed the faces of people here in the glade. I saw myself pressing down buttons and numbers while scanning the images on the screens that I now recognized; there was Alby, Hank, Gally, Jeff, Erin, and many more. My other self started panicking and clicked on more buttons until the screens displayed another subject. Newt. The screens displayed a certain part of the glade where the boys and Erin looked like they were worried about something. I watched as my other self frantically pressed more buttons, then someone came running towards where I was, the same boy in my previous dreams. We watched as Newt just returned from the maze, being assisted by Minho and the screen just stopped. The mysterious boy hugged me as I panicked, screaming and kicking at anything.

I broke from my daze and looked at Erin. Alby, Minho and Newt were in the medhouse as well. While in the maze, I tried finding or feeling for any signs of an exit but I just couldn't. I was unsure if it was because of exhaustion, fear or maybe there was just no way out. The twisted bastards who placed us here deserve to rot in hell, if there was ever a place like that.

"So what really happened out there?" Alby asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and rested my chin between my tucked knees.

"Well, you can't just report back to us a shucking-" Alby mocked my jaded shrug.

Erin rested a hand on my back. "Maya, we need you to cooperate with us. Please?"

"I'm sorry," I replied, my voice barely a whisper, "I'm sorry."

"Listen, shuckf-" Erin immediately glared at Minho, shaking her head. "I mean, Maya," He corrected himself, "They just want details of what went wrong out there."

"I don't think you'll like it."

"Well, what's new?" Newt said, "There isn't much around here to like anyway."

"I'm really, really sorry. I got scared."

Minho, Ben and Alby gave me an apologetic look. I just failed them; made them disappointed since they trusted me that I could somehow be the ticket out of this goddamn prison.

But they were wrong.

~

The following day, Winston hugged me immediately when I arrived at the kitchen. I didn't miss the klunk and noisy animals in the Bloodhouse, but I surely missed his company.

"Glad you didn't die out there yesterday."

"I'm dead inside." I jested.

"Oh god." He rolled his eyes. "Here we go again."

"Did you know Frypan's serving chicken soup today?" Erin joined in, still wearing the brightest smile.

Winston's face beamed and I couldn't help but subtlely tease him since he was head over heels with the glade's first girl. Zart greeted as he passed by us. I noticed a small gush on his forehead.