19

Carla

I havent heard from Cade in three days. I couldnt feel him anymore and it worried me. I couldn't call him or text him so I was sitting in the dark for any sign of him. There was a knock at my door.

"Go away!" I yelled at nancy. I could tell by her scent but someone else was here.

"Bree is here to see you!" Nancy said. I got up and went downstairs. Her crazy hair brightened up the dull room.

"Hey" she said getting up from her seat.

"Wheres Cade?" I asked. She pressed her lips together trying to answer or atleast remember it.

"He had to leave. Go visit his Family in
California" Bree said. "It was an emergency and thats why he sent me to tell you"

She patted me shoulder. "Trust him" she whispered in my ear. She left without hearing my stammering. I guess I couldnt be mad at him anymore. I sighed. Nancy dropped a letter in my lap. "You need to read that"
   I opened it. A long letter with beautiful hand writing. It smelled old but sweet. Whoever it came from was holding onto it for a while.

Dear Carla

My name is Adaline Micheals. I am your mother. You must have alot of questions. But by the time you read this, I will be dead so I wouldn't be able to answer those questions or see you. I just want you to know Ive watched you grow up from afar. I know the troubles you are in. Ive tried to help here and there. I know nancy is doing a great job and made the most difficult sacrifices to keep you safe. In the envelope is a key to my house in North Carolina. You may go and take whatever you want as yours. There is a book. Keep it safe.

-Forever yours, Adaline Micheals

I closed the Letter. Tears at my eyes. My mother touched this. Wrote this. Now she was dead. What about my father. She didnt mention him.

"Nancy what do we do?" I asked.

"Im still wondering who sent the Letter here. Who knew we were here?" She asked herself.

"Could it be my father?" I asked. She nodded.

"I was thinking the same thing" She said, she grabbed the key. " lets go grab this book"

I nodded. We grabbed some stuff for out trip.

"Five minutes" Nancy said as we stopped at the store. It was the closest to us in the little town.

I walked to the chip isle. Another girl was there but she was about 8 months pregnant.

"Oops" she dropped her stuff. I grabbed it for her.

"Im so sorry. The names Quinn. Yours?" She asked, she put out her hand. I shook it.

"Carla" I smiled. Her face dropped a bit but then she lifted it with a smile.

"Awe its so nice to meet you Carla. We should have lunch together. How about next week. Tuesday at the pub?" She asked. I simply nodded. She was so sweet. Maybe she was new here. Might as well be her friend.

"Alright see you then"  She walked out of the store.

I could feel sadness. It was Cade he was near. I ignored it thinking about my mom.