o28

This connection that Lucas and I share made me remember a memory that I thought I would never see again

This connection that Lucas and I share made me remember a memory that I thought I would never see again. It was me, when I was still twelve. Mom used to hug me when I'm afraid. It's gonna be okay, she murmured. Then she took out a sharp thing from the pocket of her lab gown, its syringe shining in silver. Though I'm still very young, I'm not a fool to not know that it's an injection.

Then she's going to say more words to me, like she's telling a bedtime story.

Stay still, she whispered.

You can do this, Jeena, then she would point the syringe at the flesh on my arm.

Mama taught you to be a strong little girl, she would say,

and I scream.

I screamed so hard as the needle pierced through my skin, but she won't listen to my protest. I am waving my head, saying a series of weak noes.

But Mama. She didn't listen. She looked at me with storm-cloud eyes, barriered me like I'm an animal and not her daughter, then impaled my skin with that frightful device and says Hush, Jeena, hush. Didn't I tell you that the pain is only temporary?

No. You didn't.

Didn't I tell you not to mingle with those children? Those little, insane bastards? I told you to head straight to your bedroom, didn't I?

Yes. You did.

Didn't I tell you not to make friends with that Yukhei boy?

Yes. You did.

Didn't I tell you not to lie to me? Jeena, do you ever listen to your mother?

You're not my mother. A mother doesn't do this to her child.

You've been a bad girl, Jeena. Mama didn't raise you just to defy me.

I scream and I think I think I think and think again,

that my lungs will rupture.