i - brendon

i put the key into the lock, turning it. after i'm inside the building, i turn on the fluorescent lights, grumbling to myself that i need to change a couple of flickering ones. it makes the shop look a lot more run down, which isn't necessarily great for business.

  i toss my keys onto the coffee stained counter and use the bathroom right away, realizing how unkept it looks. i sigh while i walk out to the front counter, turning on my laptop and the cash register. i plug my earbuds in, putting one ear in and i turn on the same playlist i listen to nearly every single day.

  "excuse me." i hear a woman's voice, and i jump a bit, realizing how loud my music was, and how she must've been standing there for a few minutes. i scramble to turn my music off and i end up yanking my earbuds out of the laptop, causing them to fall to the linoleum floor. my cheeks flush in embarrassment, and i look up to see the middle-aged woman looking almost displeased.

  "i'm sorry. so, so sorry. did you have an order?" i ask her quietly.

  "can you repeat that?"

  "did you have an order already placed?" i ask a bit louder so she can hear. i've been told i have a quiet voice.

  "yes, young man. i made the order under janelle raine." she clarifies, and i click away from social media on my laptop, bringing up the spreadsheet with flowers orders laid out on it.

  i spot her name, and nod to no one in particular, walking to the ceiling to floor refrigerator that i store the flowers in. well, most of them anyway. i search for the tag with janelle's name on it, and when i see the two dozen roses, i smile in satisfaction.

  satisfaction that i didn't misplace an order that a costumer demanded a refund over. believe me when i say that it's happened more than once.

  i scoop up the roses, dripping some water on the floor as i walk to the counter, placing them gently in front of the woman. she smiles and thanks me, while i mumble a 'you're welcome'.

  "would you like a vase, ribbon, or card to go along with them?"

  "no, thanks. how much do i owe you?" she declines and grabs her wallet from what looks to be a prada handbag. i push my glasses up my nose, pressing buttons on the cash register, calculating the total.

  "that'll be sixteen fifty two." i mumble, conscious of the volume of my voice. i can hear her sigh while she slides me a twenty dollar bill. after about a minute, i'm able to gather all of her change, and the receipt, handing it to her.

  "have a good day, ma'am." i say as the woman starts walking out. she doesn't reply as the bell over the door rings to indicate that she left.