ii - gianna

"g, can you please go pick up flowers for lana's baby shower?"

  "do i really have to go?" i ask, groaning. my mother glares at me and silently hands me a twenty. then she gestures to my puppy that's chewing on a rubber toy in the entry way of the house.

  "why don't you take maki with you?" she suggests, and i sigh, pocketing the money while i go and grab maki's collar and leash, pulling him away from his toy, causing him to begin panting. i click the leash onto the collar, and he suddenly starts jumping around.

  this will be fun.

  "thank you, darling!" my mother calls as i walk out the door, mumbling under my breath. maki follows me out of the house and i shut the door, making sure i have my phone and house key.

  the nevada sun warms my face and i put my sunglasses on, walking the puppy down the sidewalk. i've got about three blocks to go before i reach the roses are red flower shop. i've never been there, but i know it's been around for ages. mom told me it's a sort of family business, until the owner died from injuries of a car crash nearly four years ago. no idea who's running it now.

  when i approach a crosswalk, maki sits down, panting hard. i smile when he looks up at me, and i see the go ahead to walk to the other side of the street. at the end of the block, i see the flower shop, and it doesn't look too lively. suddenly, my phone vibrates in the pocket of my jean shorts.

  mom: make sure they're lillies

  i don't bother responding, and continue down the sidewalk. upon approaching the store front, i look up at the sign that supposedly reads the name roses are red, but instead it says rose are re....great job keeping up with it. i roll my eyes before pulling off my sunglasses and pushing open the glass door.

  i see a boy behind the counter, around my age, staring at a computer screen. i nearly cringe at the sight of the shop, and there's no wonder i've never been inside. i listen to maki's nails click against the floor, and once i reach the counter, the boy notices i'm there. i realize he had headphones in.

  "i'm sorry, but dogs aren't allowed-"

  "it's fine. i just need a dozen lillies." i cut him off, putting my hand on my hip with the leash is wrapped around my other wrist. he seems a little clueless, but then regains his composure, browsing the computer.

  "did you already have an order in place?"

  "um...no?" i say it as if it's a question. he looks me up and down before deciding to believe me.

  "you need a dozen lillies, right?" i nod, rolling my eyes as he walks away from the counter. i look around the store, seeing racks of cards for nearly any occasion, spoils of ribbon, and all sorts of vases. this place could definitely use my interior designing.