xxii - gianna

"okay, but i get to call you flower boy. and we are not to be seen in public together, got it? my friends would absolutely freak." i set 'ground rules' for brendon as we're cleaning up, getting ready to go home. after our second kiss, i acted like nothing happened, naturally.

"why do you care what they think?" brendon asks, his back to me while he slides lids back on the paint cans.

"because dummy..." i couldn't think of something to come back with. we didn't say anything else on the subject.

after the flower shop was locked up, i started to head towards my car, but noticed that he was just standing against the store front at eight thirty at night. i stopped in my tracks and turned around.

"aren't you gonna go home?" i ask him.

"in a little bit, yeah." i watched as he reached for his pocket. as soon as he saw me looking, he quickly pulled away as if he wasn't doing anything.

"what's in your pocket?"

"nothing."

"come on, flower boy, you can tell me." sheepishly, he pulls something square out of his pocket. he flicks the box open, and i realize that they're cigarettes.

"you smoke!?" i exclaim, taken aback as brendon grabs a lighter, lighting a cigarette that he's put in his mouth. taking a drag, he blows the smoke out and looks at me.

"yeah. it's not a big deal, and it's not like i'm addicted."

"no, no, i'm fine with it i just- i never smell it on you."

"i must cover it up pretty well, then." when did he turn so cocky and confident? he turns his head away from me, looking down the street, and blowing out more smoke into the night air. i suddenly found him extremely attractive, but i didn't want to let him know that.

"i'll see you on thursday, flower boy."