xviii - gianna

i've been working at the shop for nearly two weeks now, and i would go home tired. although, it didn't bother me all that much. i actually started to like hanging out with brendon a little bit.

"here's pay for this last week." my mother came up to me, just before i left the house, and handed me fifty dollars in cash. i smiled. i went and put the money in my purse, slinging it over my shoulder. without saying goodbye to either of my parents, i walked out of the house and to my car.

when i got to the flower shop, i parked in front of it and walked up to the door with confidence. once inside, i heard brendon singing from the back room. the sound made goosebumps arise on my arms, and i rubbed them away with the anticipation of him coming out and seeing me.

i got to work right away, putting my purse on the counter. i rolled my sleeves up and started moving shelves away from the wall and into the middle of the room. yesterday, we had swept and mopped the floor, but it already seemed to be as dirty as before we even started.

"oh, hey." brendon startles me and i turn around to look over my shoulder. he's smiling at me. i smile in return. i was starting to warm up to this kid.

"hey, b." i reply, struggling with a stand. he comes over and moves with ease, not even needing my help.

"i think we'll start to paint today." he says, looking the walls up and down.

"yeah, okay."

"oh, and gianna?"

"yeah?"

"what would you do if i asked you for your number?"

that question makes me stop. i'm crouched on the floor by the paint cans, and i look up at brendon whose eyes are locked on me.

"are you hitting on me?" i ask.

"of course not. i just thought- since we're just working together and just in case-"

"give me your phone."