x - gianna

so i went inside, introduced myself to the kid, and made myself comfortable while 'getting to know him'.

"uh...okay, i've lived with my aunt ever since my mom died. she left me the shop, actually. i'm seventeen and i'll be turning eighteen next april. i've always liked flowers. sorry, that probably sounds silly. i...i used to be in a band. i was the lead singer....but we aren't together anymore. of course, you don't want to hear about any of that." brendon drones on while he puts the cap back on the last florescent light that he had to fix.

i swing my legs back and forth, sitting on the counter while he talks. maki has been pretty calm, just walking around, sniffing everything out. i suppose it can't be that bad in here. i chew my gum and suddenly, brendon is standing in front of me, toolbox in hand.

i sigh and decide to give him the benefit of the doubt. i offer up telling him about me, which i don't mind doing....kind of. he just doesn't seem like my type. i can tell he's totally into me, and i can't say i'm not flattered, but if he tries anything, i'd slap him right away, no questions asked.

"so i guess now it's my turn to tell you about my life." i suggest, looking next to me. i see a pen on the counter and i play with it between my fingers.

"i suppose so." brendon replies coolly, putting the toolbox behind the counter.

"i guess....i'm like, super rich. my parents work for apple. i have a sister and a brother, and my sister is married. my brother is currently away at summer camp, and he's three years younger than me. i'm terrible at singing, too." i say, and then i realize that i never open up to anyone. not that that was really opening up, but for me it was.

"that's a great first impression." the boy mumbles, looking down awkwardly at the floor.

"yeah..." i trail off, hopping off the counter to grab maki from the corner where he's laying down, most likely pretending to sleep. once he's in my arms, i hear brendon's voice.

"i'm sure you're not that bad."

"what?" i ask, turning around. our eyes lock, and neither of us say anything for about a minute.

"singing. i'm sure you're not that bad at singing, gianna."