xiii - brendon

"oh my god, where the hell were you?" i was right. cece is pissed when i walk through the door. i could tell she had been pacing the floor, and biting her nails. she tends to do that when she's nervous.

"i stayed a little late at the shop. i'm really, really sorry." i get ready to apologize profusely, kicking my high tops off.

"are you hurt?"

"no, no, i'm fine. don't worry." i can't help but chuckle in amusement. at least she cares, whereas my own father didn't bother to even feed me after my mother died.

without a word or warning, cece hugs me, rubbing her hand in circles underneath my backpack, on my back. i can almost feel the worry radiating off of her.

"really, i'm fine."

"well, did you eat yet?"

"didn't have enough money to stop anywhere."

"well, it looks like you and i are going out tonight," she declares, holding me out at arm's length to look at her. my eyebrows knit together in puzzlement.

"i got a raise today, kiddo." suddenly, my eyes light up and smile so wide, i think it might stay frozen like this. i'm so happy, i could just about cry.

"aunt cece that-that's great!" then i stop for a moment, and so does she.

"but nothing's going to be open at eleven o' clock at night."

"ever heard of twenty-four hour diners?"