xii - gianna

"well, i'm glad you're willing to help out. your father and i have discussed paying you for helping that poor boy." my mother cuts the chicken on her plate almost delicately, glancing up at me while she talks. dad is sitting across from me at the table, eating while scrolling on his phone.

"cool." i mutter, casually moving my fork around in the mass of potatoes that were dropped onto my china plate. ugh, carbs. doesn't mom know better? i'm watching my figure. finally, i've had enough of the silence in the room.

"may i be excused?" i ask politely, getting ready to push away from the table.

"sure thing, honey." dad piped up, eyes still glued to the screen. i snap my fingers in maki's direction, grabbing his attention. i pat my hand against my hip, gesturing for him to follow me upstairs.

when i'm in my bedroom, my makeup has been washed off, face washed, teeth brushed, i'm surrounded by fluffy blankets and pillows on my king size bed with a canopy over the top of it. my german shepherd puppy has decided to take it upon himself to lay right next to my head on a pillow that i'm sure he'll have claimed for the night.

i sigh, and decide that i haven't been able to get brendon's image out of my mind since i've been home. not that i'm attracted to him, but there may be something about his shaggy, black hair and those bulky, square glasses. he seems very quiet and introverted. i'm quite the opposite. i hoped that this 'project' would go by fast so i could get as far away from the embarrassment as fast as possible. one things for certain, my friends can never know about what i'm doing. oh, it's far too embarrassing.