Eighteen (Joshler)

CATEGORY: Fluff
FEATURING: timid!Josh and outgoing!Tyler
TRIGGER WARNINGS: Mild language
PROMPT: Josh is awoken at two in the morning by his best friend, Tyler, sneaking in through the window.
WORD COUNT: Approximately 3,780

A noise startled Josh Dun from sleep. He opened his eyes blearily, and looked to the clock on his bedside table, which informed him that it was almost two in the morning. Josh rolled over and put his pillow over his head, just about to drift back into sleep.

But then, he heard the noise again, near the foot of his bed. A rustling. Fear suddenly sparking in his heart, Josh quickly sat up and turned on the lamp by his bed.

Crouched at the foot of Josh's bed was a figure, which leaped up as Josh turned on the light, eyes wide like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. "Josh, relax, it's me," the figure said in a hushed but urgent voice, hopping up onto the end of his bed. "Turn off the light."

"Why?"

"Just do it, please."

Josh turned off the lamp, and his room was bathed in darkness again. After a few seconds, the stranger's figure was lit up by the light of the cell phone in their hands.

The figure belonged to Josh's best friend, a teen named Tyler Joseph. Tyler and Josh had both graduated a few weeks ago from the same high school, where they'd gone to classes and hung out together since sophomore year.

In terms of personality, Josh and Tyler were near opposites--Josh was timid and shy, where Tyler was brave and outgoing. Josh preferred to stay home and read, while Tyler liked going out and doing things, even if they tended to be on the reckless side. Josh was quiet and polite, while Tyler was bold and spoke with little or no filter.

Despite these differences in personality, the two boys were friends. Even though Josh's parents didn't always approve of Tyler, Josh knew Tyler was good for him; he used to be a socially awkward, near-mute teenager. After hanging out with Tyler all the time, though, Josh was better and interacting with others, and more confident in himself than he once was.

Still, Tyler could be a bit wild at times. Like now, here in Josh's house, at two in the morning. Tyler's dark hair was messy and untamed, as usual, and his brown eyes were bright and alert with excitement. He wore a black sweatshirt with a blue shirt underneath, along with a pair of jeans and dark gray vans.

"What are you doing here?" Josh sighed, rubbing his eyes. The initial shock had mostly worn off, and now he was tired again.

Tyler put a hand on Josh's shoulder, grinning. "Josh, my friend, I am here to accompany and guide you on a night of adventure."

Josh raised a brow. "What kind of adventure?"

"The adventure of being a legal adult." Tyler sat up straighter. Josh's eighteenth birthday had been only yesterday. Tyler had been uncharacteristically quiet about it, only giving Josh a Taco Bell gift card and offering his congratulations. Josh should have known he was planning something.

Josh simply rolled his eyes. "You sound like my mom."

His friend swatted at him playfully. "Just be quiet and get dressed."

"Tyler, it's almost two in the morning. I can't go anywhere, my parents would kill me."

The other boy shrugged. "We'll be back before they wake up. Besides, if we're quiet, they'll never know. Haven't you been the perfect child long enough?" he added, as if sensing Josh's reluctance. "Don't you want to live a little?"

Josh knew that Tyler had a point, as he usually did. Although Josh had gone along with Tyler on some of his 'adventures', he'd never really participated himself. Additionally, he had to admit that he did want to experience...something. Anything, as long as it was Tyler.