First Date (Joshler)

CATEGORY: Fluff
FEATURING: best friends!Joshler
TRIGGER WARNINGS: None
PROMPT: Tyler's going on his first date, and it's with his best friend.
WORD COUNT: 1,688

Three outfits were laid out on Tyler's bed. The boy himself sat in his desk chair, looking at them and trying to decide which one would be best for the occasion ahead of him. This afternoon was Tyler's first date, so it was important that he picked something nice.

Normally, he'd call his best friend to help him decide, but the best friend was the date in question.

Tyler and Josh had been best friends since middle school, when they'd been assigned seats next to one another in biology. Now, they were in high school, and they'd grown up a bit. Tyler had developed a huge crush on Josh almost a year ago, but he'd never thought anything would come out of it. He was afraid to bring it up, not wanting to ruin their friendship.

Just a few days ago, though, something had changed between them. They'd been standing outside Tyler's locker in the hallways at school. Tyler had been rambling--he rambled a lot, about anything he found interesting--while Josh listened. He was a good listener, and always paid attention to what Tyler was saying when he rambled, where others would grow bored or disinterested.

"Daisies mean innocence and affection, chrysanthemums mean a life of ease, and peonies mean nobility and value," Tyler had said, shutting his locker after retrieving the textbook he needed. Class would be starting soon. "I just think it's cool that all these flowers have hidden meanings. It's like this whole secret code, and nobody ever takes advantage of it. We should take advantage of it."

Josh was staring at Tyler, and the latter stopped talking to look at him. "What?"

Without a word, Josh had suddenly leaned in, and kissed him.

It wasn't Tyler first kiss, but it was his best. It was broken, however, when the bell rang.

"I'll see you in class," Josh had said, his voice a bit breathy, giving Tyler a wide grin before disappearing down the hall.

On the way home, they walked together, and held hands. Josh had asked Tyler if he'd be willing to go on a date with him that Saturday. Of course, Tyler had said yes.

Tyler was brought out of his thoughts by the chirp of his phone. He pulled it out of his pocket and opened it up.

// 1 New Text From: "Josh" //
Josh: hey, i'll be over in fifteen minutes to pick you up, is that ok?

A smile played on Tyler's lips as he texted back.

Tyler: Yeah, I'll see you soon

At the last second, he sent a heart emoji, and was both pleased and relieved when Josh sent one back.

He only had fifteen minutes to get ready, though. Quickly, he picked one of the outfits he'd laid out--white undershirt, yellow hoodie, skinny jeans, and black vans. He got dressed and brushed his teeth in the bathroom. Just as he was fixing his hair--fluffy and just a bit messy, the way he liked it--the doorbell rang.

"Coming!" Tyler put his hairbrush away and quickly went downstairs to the front door. He did a brief once-over of his outfit before opening it.

Josh was standing there with a smile on his face and a flower in his hand. He was wearing a gray hoodie and skinny jeans with red vans. A black snapback was on his head, with a few freshly-dyed red curls peeking out here and there. He leaned in and kissed Tyler's cheek, making the latter blush. "Hey, Ty."

"Hi," Tyler said with a bright smile. He admired the flower in Josh's hand, a simple white daisy. "Is that for me?"

"Actually I brought this for your mom," Josh said casually. Tyler swatted at his arm playfully, and Josh laughed. "Nah, it's for you."