Prologue

Neela Parikh rushed over to her best friend, Shweta's house. It was supposed to be their sangeet practice tonight. They had arranged their children's wedding a month before and the days before the d-day were gradually dwindling. As Neela rushed into the main hall, she noticed the diya on the dhali nearly go out. She gasped as she rushed towards it to save it. Bebe, Shweta's mother in law  rushed over to her.

"Neela kya hua beta? You could have hurt yourself," she said with deepest concern.

"Bebe the diya was about to go out. Has Neil returned from work?," she asked.

"He will be here soon. Lekin Avni tere saath nahin aayi?"

"Meri baachi ki zindagi ko katra hai,"Neela revealed.

"Kya?,"Bebe exclaimed.

"Neelaji kya hua?," Prakash inquired.

"Yeah whats happened?," Shweta asked as well.

Neela took a deep breath.

"Three days ago, when she ran late for the Mata ki chonki.."

"She witnessed a crime didn't she?," Neil stated as he emerged into the main hall.

All turned in shock and looked at him.

"Neil she hasn't returned home  since yesterday. I am so worried that they got to her,"Neela exclaimed.

Neil sighed.

"The three others are injured enough to be in the hospital," Neil declared.

Everyone turned even more shocked if that was possible.

"Phir Avni kahan..,"Neela stammered.

"Neela Ma, the way you raised her and taught her so much, do you think anything will happen to her easily?"

Neil looked to his side as if on cue, Avni came to stand beside him. She had some minor bruises and cuts, but she was alive.

Neela went over to her and hugged her. She kissed her forehead and looked aghast at her wounds.

"Teri shaadi hai kuch dino mein. Aur tum aise halaat mein?"

But then she paused noticing Neil's demeanor and his family's. Would they still accept her daughter as their bahu?