The trial and the past

Part Ten

As Avni and Neil wrapped up their trip in Rome, they called Neela as they entered the airport to return to Mumbai.

She was relieved they were both alright. The horrible events of fifteen years ago flooded her mind. That fateful night where her husband was beaten severely and her daughter shot and left for dead in that old factory.

She still had no idea if Ashish had survived that fateful night. All she had found was her daughter had nearly bled to death. Ali had been her best friend since they were very little. He and another boy had found Avni in the nick of time that night.

She had no idea who that boy was. Ali had said he had disappeared sometime between bringing Avni to the hospital and the factory site.

Neela regretted not knowing for years who had helped give Avni a fighting chance.

It was several years later when she came to know that Bebe's husband had died just days before the incident in the factory.

Bebe recalled an incident from that night.

" We were all so lost in our grief no one realized Neil had gone missing at first. The three of us looked everywhere that night until I found Neil coming in from the kitchen door."

"Puttar yeh kya hai!," Bebe exclaimed.

" Dadaji sapne mein aaye the. Uski jaan khatre mein thi," a young Neil muttered in a trance like state.

Bebe was concerned seeing the blood stains on his t-shirt and ushered him into his room to shower and change.

She never told his parents that part. She assured them he had a nightmare and had wandered off. He was sleeping now.

"Sunny, Shweta ab tum dono sojao. I will keep an eye out for Neil if he awakens," she assured them.

Neil was their only child and her only grandson. She could not let this be revealed until she knew more.

Now years later ,Bebe and Neela knew that Neil had probably been the other boy that helped to save Avni that night.

"Neela aaj baache wapas aare hain. Now we know their connection has been there for a long time. They were meant for each other," Bebe expressed.

Neela squeezed her hand appreciatively.

"Jee Bebe. I am lucky that you all have accepted Avni as your bahu."

"Bahu nahin, beti hai woh humari," Bebe assured her.

Avni and Neil were greeted by their family members with great pomp. Neela took time to talk to them individually.

"Avni was fine during the trip? I hope she did not bother you too much Neil," Neela stated.

Neil sighed.

"Neela Ma, aap ki beti bilkul ajooba hai. However we learned so much about each other. I have never felt so complete before our marriage," Neil confessed.

Later on Avni and Neela talked.

"Ma, Neil has been so good to me. I never expected he would give me so much love. I was afraid our differences would make it difficult for us to adjust together," Avni confessed.

"Baccha, are you happy?"

" I am Ma, thank-you!"

They hugged and Neela stroked her hair lovingly.

"Hamesha khush rehna bacha," she whispered.

Neela and Shweta nudged the newlyweds into dance to end the evening. There was equal chemistry between them. Before their wedding it had been lukewarm. Now it was burning. Anyone would be a fool not to see how much these two had already grown in such a short time.

The couple headed to their bedroom later that night.

Avni reminsced their first night as a married couple. She smiled to herself.

She paused seeing Neil locking their bedroom door.

He approached her slowly with a sexy swag. Her breath caught in her throat. She knew what his intentions were.

" Kya hua wifey? You were smiling just a moment ago."

"Kuch nahin Neil ," she gasped as his fingers grazed her waist.

" Starting tomorrow things will get hectic. Let's have a nice , beautiful night tonight," he urged.

She leaned in to kiss his cheek shyly.

In the morning, Neil was surprised to see that Avni was already ready for the day. The first day of the trial was today.

She seemed restless. He assured her that everything would be fine. His father, mother and Bebe tried to keep the atmosphere light as they ate breakfast together.

Then it was time to go. Avni took a deep breath.

" Are you ready?"

" Yes let's get past this so we can live our lives to the fullest now," she declared.

As the weeks past by, Avni's colleagues braced their fears and testified.

Vikram Thakkar was determined to get his revenge not knowing Avni was no weak little girl anymore.

Death did not scare her.

But losing her family did.

It was a Saturday. Court had been adjourned until Monday for the final hearing.

Avni was shelling peas with Bebe and Shweta when she got a stranger's call.

She told them she had an emergency and she would be back in sometime.

Neil had been called in for a meeting at the station.

" Agar tum chahti ho ki tum vidwa na bano isse pate pe aaj ana," the person said before giving her the address.

" Don't you dare!"

"Then come here!"

"Bebe mera dil keta hai kuch toh saiye nahin hai," Shweta cried.

"Mera bhi Madonna," Bebe replied.

Meanwhile..

Avni rushed to the address and stopped short.

Someone had found out her past and was using it against her.

A life size doll with dark hair sat at path with a bullet hole on the left side. Just like she had when she was eleven years old.

Bebe called Neil.

"Avni just left in a hurry. Of what we heard it looks like they threatened her. Could it be that Vikram Thakkar?"

Neil's heart started to race.

Avni was definitely in danger.

"DD!"

"Yes sir."

"Get a team ready and track Avni's last location !"

"Kya hua sir?"

"That Vikram Thakkar is trying to get her killed before the last hearing I am sure of it!"

"No sir we will find bhabhi in time," DD assured him.

" Avni I hope you don't make any impulsive moves. Please wifey don't give up!"