Part Seventeen

Author's note: Hope you enjoy!

Monday came quicker than Neil would have wanted.

Avni was going to start working again. He had felt spoiled the first few months of their marriage. She always around whenever he came home and when he left.

This morning she was dressed and ready to go before he was.

She was wearing a burgundy top with ruffles and a long floral skirt. He peeked at her in admiration.

Avni felt his glaring and turned to face him.

" What is wrong Neil? You don't like my outfit?"

Neil sighed.

His wife was an ajooba.

She hadn't realized he was checking her out.

"My wifey looks so beautiful today!," he exclaimed.

He grasped her by her upper arms.

He growled at her.

She stared back at him.

"Neil are you feeling ok? Maybe I can call the doctor before I leave," she muttered.

He pulled her closer to him so that she was looking back into his brown orbs.

" I was trying to romance with my wife. Unfortunately she has not one ounce of romance in her blood," he hissed.

"Neil choro. This is no time for romance," she hissed.

" Fine. But remember the rules. If anyone messes with you..."

"Neil I can handle it," she assured him.

"Fine. I am going to get ready. Will meet you at the breakfast table," he replied.

Avni shook her head at his retreating figure.

"Papaji you go ahead. I will come on my own," Avni stated as they finished breakfast.

"It is your first day Avni," Neil said.

"Puttar I can drop you off a bit away from the office. It should be fine," Prakash insisted.

" Nahin papaji. I want to advance my career on my own please!"

" See dad, she is playing her cards with you too now. We all should be vary of her tricks," Neil hissed.

"Neil what is wrong with you?"

" Nothing is wrong with having concern for my wife. You have been through a lot. I am worried about Ashish Mehta as well too. Has he contacted you yet?"

Avni sighed.

"Neil , no he hasn't. He probably went back to hiding. He probably realizes I won't believe him," she declared.

"Theek hai. Do whatever you wish, just remember to consider us in whatever decisions make from now on," Neil declared before leaving.

Avni looked back at the other family members.

" Aap sap batao, kya maine kuch galat kiya hai?"

"Nahin puttar. Neil tumhe leker zyaada sensitive hai," Bebe stated.

" He loves you a lot Avni. Relax he will come around," Shweta assured her.

"Avni beta I will see you in the office. Now smile. You wouldn't want to frighten the office staff with your tears. You look better smiling," he assured her.

"Thanks Papaji. I will just wash my face and leave shortly," she replied.

Shweta shook her head.

"My son still needs to grow up. I better set him straight now," Shweta said as she dialed his phone.

Avni enjoyed her first day at the office. She made new friends Akash and Simiran. Prakash flashed her a look here and there.

She always indicated she was fine.

It was late evening by the time, they one by one left the office.

Avni was startled by a figure on a bike stop short in front of her path.

Her father-in-law had already left.

She was about to call him or Neil when the figure removed their helmet.

"Tum?"

" I have to say sorry for this morning."

"What if I don't want to forgive you yet?"

He got out and handed her flowers and a container of her favorite poha.

"So you enrolled my mother to help you in this matter?"

"Avni let's go unless you want to argue with me on this street all night," Neil urged.

"Theek hai, chalo!"

She sat behind him after tucking the flowers and poha in the boot of the bike.

He drove fast but would stop short at times so she would have no choice but to melt and wrap her arms around him.

As they rolled into their neighborhood, she had indeed forgiven her husband.

" So are you going to forgive me Mrs. Khanna or should I keep trying?"

She leaned in to kiss his cheek.

" You know I can't stay mad at you for long," she whispered.

They headed inside holding hands.

They let go of each other when they found Maddy Bua and Kareena were visiting.

Everyone had dinner together and enjoyed a few games of cards.

Avni learned Simiran and Akash had been Kareena's seniors in college.

" We can go for lunch one day. But don't tell them I am your Bhabhi," Avni told her.

"Koi baat nahin. I won't tell them," Kareena assured her.

Avni played a slow romantic number and nudged Neil to get up and dance with her.

He was stunned to see her romantic side.

He obliged and they danced together before slipping into a deep slumber.

The days passed quickly.

It had now been three months since Ashish Mehta had shown up unannounced in their lives.

The secretary paged Avni that she had a call.

"Ms.Parikh, a call for you."

"Did they say their name ?"

"Ashish Mehta."

Avni sighed.

"Patch him in," she said reluctantly.

"Avni, my superstar how are you?"

" I don't have time for formalities. This is my place of employment. How can I help you Mr. Mehta?"

"Have lunch with me beta. I would like to start fresh with all of you," he said too sweetly.

There was a corner cafe a few kilometers away.

" I will send you an address and ek aur baat."

"Yes beta."

"Never call me here again," she snapped as she slammed the phone down.