Pyaar jaise mein karta hoon

Author's note: Finally a new update. Hope you enjoy it!

Part Twenty

The events of fifteen years ago flashed before her eyes. She had followed her father into the old factory. There was a scuffle and grunting.

They were threatening him and somewhere in the midst of the commotion she jumped in to try to save him.

Someone had a gun.

She didn't know how or when but then a shot rang out.

A cold sinking feeling filled her being.

She must have fallen to the floor at some point. She gazed around , she didn't hear her father that close by anymore.

They could be killing him right now and she was helpless as the blood keep pouring out of her chest.

"Papa!," she rasped.

She must have lost conciseness as a few moments later Ali and another boy around their age were by her side. They were scared to see her like this.a cloth was pressed to her chest. She heard the sirens in the distance.

"Avni don't give up."

"Trust me you won't die today."

She blanked out after that for sometime.

The next morning when she awakened she saw tear stained face of her mother and Aman sleeping curled up in a chair. A weary eyed Ali had stayed all night there to make sure his friend would live.

The other boy was nowhere to be seen.

"Ali, who was that other boy?"

"Avni tum theek ho! Mujhe nahin pata woh kaun tha. Lekin usne humari bauth help ki kal raat ko," Ali stated.

Neela awakened and she explained what the doctors told her a few hours ago.

"Beta aap ka heart right side par hai isyle aap thore waqt ki baat hik hojayenge," Neela assured her.

Avni realized her father was not in the room.

"Ma, Papa kahan hain?"

Neela stiffened.

"Beta abhi woh yahaan nahin hain. Aap aaram karo. Main bus abhi aayi. Ali zara Aman par dhyan rakna," Neela stated before rushing off.

Ali sighed.

No one had an answer as to if her father was all right or not.

Avni woke up in a sweat.

Neil stirred hearing her heavy breathing.

He sleepily turned on the side lamp and rushed to her side.

"Kya hua Avni?"

"Kuch nahin Neil baas kuch yaad agaya," Avni stammered.

He handed her water.

She gulped it down in a hurry.

He caressed her back.

"It's ok. You are safe wifey," he said soothingly.

"Neil I promise I won't meet Ashish Mehta again. My nightmares are coming back. All the memories I have tried to suppress for years keep disturbing me. I just need to shut it out already," she said trusted.

" Relax Avni. By the way I did not want to tell you this but Ashish Mehta approached someone close to us. He thinks you are safer with him," Neil stated.

Avni shook her head.

"Neil we need to work on our plan. Even Ma is upset these days. Yesterday all of you were disturbed because of me getting shot," she lamented.

He touched her forehead.

"Avni for now you rest. We shall work on the plan later. Tuhme fever hai. I will get some cloth for your head. Stay right here. I will be back," he declared.

Avni sighed.

Her living nightmare had to end sooner or later.

Neil took care of her the reminder of the night.

Neil took off the next day. He met Prakash in the hall after freshening up in the morning.

"Neil, ab Avni kaisi hai?"

"Dad kal raat ko bhukar tha, ab kam hai."

"Beta I should have kept a closer eye on Avni," his father lamented.

"Dad it's not your fault. As you know your daughter-in-law is a bit impulsive. Apne maan ki karni hoti hai," Neil retorted.

"Lekin humari jais bhi hai," Prakash added.

Neil chuckled and hugged his dad.

" I am going to check on Avni and then I will have the doctor come see her. If she wants something special Neil, make sure she gets it," he added.

Neil saluted his father and headed off to the kitchen.

Bebe and Shweta prepared light food for Avni and took turns pampering her.

Avni cringed when Bebe brought hali wala dhood.

"Bebe no please I can't drink more of this," she cried.

"Come on Avni, your wound needs to heal," Shweta urged.

"Chal beta you need this," Bebe encouraged.

Neil stepped into the room.

"Avni I will let you watch your favorite movies tonight if you finish the milk," Neil stated.

She eyed him suspiciously.

" Yeah right. You will just tell me to rest," she pouted.

Shweta and Bebe exchanged amused looks.

" Tillu make sures my bahu gets to watch her movies. No cheating!"

" Yes Tillu, if no fever, she can stay up tonight," Bebe stated.

Neil looked aghast at them.

" Yesterday you both were supporting me, today you switched teams?," he exclaimed.

" Relax Tillu. Anything for my bahu," Shweta gushed.

Neil rolled his eyes. Avni smiled brightly until she was forced to finish the milk.

After Shweta and Bebe left, Neil sat in front of her and pulled out her favorite chocolate.

"You can have this now," he said with glee.

Avni took it from his hands. She paused before opening it, and leaned in to kiss his cheek.

Neil smiled widely.

They got through half of one movie before Avni was fast asleep.

He smiled at her and got up to take her back to their bed.

He tucked her in and then like he did almost every night, gently curled up beside her.

Nine more days left for Avni's leave. He would have to return to work tomorrow, but he would start working on a plan soon. Ashish Mehta needed to leave them all alone for good.