Part Two

Denial and Worries

Neela looked on happily as Neil asked for Avni's hand for a dance. He was ever the gentleman as the other friends and relatives mingled around them, making the couple the center of attention.

"They look made for each others, don't they Neela?," Shweta beamed.

Neela chuckled recalling how Shweta had banged into Avni's car a few months before. Avni had tried to defend herself, but Shweta blabbered on, until Neela and Neil arrived at the scene and had her calm down.

Shweta realized her mistake and Neil stepped forwards to apologize to Avni on behalf of his mother.

The two of them had shared an eyelock of sorts which lit the light bulbs in their mothers minds to arrange their marriage.

" Unfortunately Avni and I met under such circumstances, but then Neil got to meet her too. I am glad everything is working out," Shweta declared.

Neela nodded.

"But I worry Avni's situation, I don't want the rest of you to be in harm's way because of her.."

"Stop it Neela. We are family forever now. Whatever the problems we will face together," Shweta assured her.

Neela merely nodded in response and tried to calm her fears.

Aman and Ali came to them and pulled them on the dance floor. The women enjoyed the sangeet ceremony.

Riya, Avni's cousin asked about the honeymoon plans.

" Prakash Uncle planned something special for us. I will tell you how it is when we are back. Not sure where we are going but I will bring you back a bag or.."

"Avni! Seriously? Don't worry about me. You are going on your honeymoon. Focus on Jiju! All my friends are jealous. You get to wake up to that every morning starting in less than 48 hours from now," Riya exclaimed.

Avni took a good look at Neil and thought about their moments so far. There was something about him. But would he want to stay with her forever?

Ali came over to them and grabbed Riya for a dance and told Avni, Neil was looking for her.

"Aaja tera dulha tuhme dhoodra hai yaar!"

"Main abhi aayi," Avni called after them.

She headed to the washroom to freshen up.

She fixed her dupatta and freshened up her makeup.

Suddenly the light went off.

Usually she was fine but this time she felt claustaphobic.

She started banging on the door and then she found the knob.

Neil and Aman headed off to find out the issue. Ali stayed to watch out for everyone else.

Neil and Aman were able to fix the problem and they headed back to the hall. Avni wasn't there with everyone.

Neela got very worried but Neil assured her, Avni had to be here close by.

Just as he was about to go search for her, she emerged and everyone rejoiced that she was fine.

" Are you all right?"

"Haan, but I just felt a bit claustrophobic, I was stuck in the washroom for a bit," she said not meeting his eyes.

He led her by the elbow to have a seat. He handed her some water and sat with her.

Ali, Riya and Aman came by to inquire as to what happened.

" Avni is usually very brave but a childhood incident sometimes.."

Avni shook her head at Ali.

Riya and Aman exchanged glances. Neil should know, he was going to marry her.

"Avni you should tell Neil when you are ready ok?," Ali said later before he left to drop Riya off.

She was lost in her thoughts.

Avni never wanted anyone to see her weak. Now that was her greatest fear.

The following evening was the wedding.

Neela did her kanyadaan with glee.

Aman and Kareena fought over Neil's shoes. Kareena got briefly distracted when she went to do the ghat bandan. Aman and Riya took the chance to grab the shoes.

Neil had to pay up after all. But he did so in good spirit after the wedding rituals were completed.

Two more days then they would leave for their honeymoon. Prakash was working on the details to ensure Avni's papers were ready.

It was decided that Avni and Neil would do the pug phera ceremony the next day, then the day after was their flight. Avni was stunned as she didn't realize she and Neil would actually share the same room tonight. Originally she was supposed to leave today with Neela and stay with her until the flight.

She gulped as Shweta and Maddy Bua settled her into the room.

The family and few friends left had probably grabbed him for some nonsense talks. She was relieved she had time to prepare for her first night as a married woman, but nevertheless she was nervous.

It seemed like eons, when she heard the laughter and jokes from outside the room. Then he arrived looking handsome in his sliver sherwani that matched her own sliver lengha.

He locked the door behind him. He smiled at her warmly and glanced at the milk that sat on his new side of the bed.

"I don't drink milk," he commented.

"Toh mujhe kya? I didn't know you don't like it. How did you make those abs anyway?"

He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Fiesty I like that wifey!"

"Listen don't.."

" You are my wifey now love," he quipped.

She sighed.

He grabbed her wrist.

She looked back at him wide eyed.

"Neil you promised.."

" Just holding hands is nothing. Couples do more than that on their first night," he quipped.

" I am not.."

" I get that you are not ready tonight. No worries I will wait," he replied.

" Really?"

"Saachi mucchi," he replied.

She swallowed.

Still his direct glare was driving her insane.

She got up to go change. She glanced back at him as she grabbed her nightgown and went into the washroom to change.

Neil chuckled after her.

She was truly an ajooba.