Unexpected return

Part Twelve

Neil gathered Avni in his arms and they all ran to the car. DD arrested Vikram Takkar and his men.

Neil drove like a maniac to the nearest hospital.

When he introduced himself the staff hurried to get Avni seen.

The doctor checked her immediately and then a nurse came to dress Neil's cuts.

He almost shook her off but at Neela's assistance he allowed his dressings to be done.

Afterwards he paced outside the room where Avni was being evaluated.

The doctor emerged an hour later.

"Doctor saab meri baachi kaisi hai?"

" She is in shock. She needs some rest. We have dressed her wounds. She will be on some vitamins and antibiotics for a week. She got very lucky," he expressed.

Neil sighed in relief and nearly broke down in Neela's lap. She stroked his head and assured him he did his duty as a police officer and a husband.

Ali, Riya and Aman arrived and were relieved all was well, They too assured Neil.

"Neil tera ur Avni koi pakka connection hoga. Whenever she is in trouble you are there for her," Ali declared.

Neela indicated for him not to say anything more. Neil did not recall the incident from their childhood.

Ali refrained from saying more.

" Di theek hai aap ki vajah se," Aman declared.

"Jiju, I kept telling Avni you both were meant for each other. I am going to get her to admit it when she wakes up," Riya declared.

Neil chuckled.

Avni had already confessed his feelings for him. He went to the temple in the hospital and prayed with all his might.

He never wanted to see her at the brink of death like this ever again.

They allowed them to take Avni home.

Prakash, Shweta and Bebe looked on with concern as Avni was brought by ambulance.

Prakash took Neil aside and the women got Avni settled.

Neela placed a cool cloth on Avni's forehead and left her pills at her bedside.

Bebe told her to go home and get some rest.

Neil entered the room after seeing off his mother-in-law.

He looked over at his unconscious wife.

He stroked her forehead and hair. He changed the cloth again before coming to lay beside her.

It seemed like forever when she finally opened her eyes the next morning.

She looked around startled.

Where was she?

She gazed next to her to see a male figure asleep besides her.

She gasped.

She slowly made her way up to a mirror.

Avni was shocked.

She was no longer a child. She was an adult.

She didn't realize when she let out a shriek, awakening the man laying in the bed.

Neil got up stunned.

He rushed over to Avni.

"Kya hua?"

"When did I grow up? Aur tum kaun ho?"

Neil gazed back at her in shock.

Avni had forgotten everything from the past fifteen years!

The court date was in 24 hours. What would they do now?

" Main tumara pati hoon!"

"Kya?"

"Avni you have been through a lot, you need to rest," Neil said.

She shrugged away from his touch.

" Main tuhme nahin janti!"

A few hours later..

Neela arrived and they all sat down to explain things to Avni.

They would have to consult a doctor and try to push back the hearing date. Avni could not complete the testimony since she had lost her memory.

However there was enough evidence to keep Vikram Thakkar in jail for now.

Prakash and Neil made calls to get some assistance in delaying the hearing.

Avni asked everyone for some air.

" Zyaada dhur mat jana beta. Neil phirse pareshan ho jayega," Bebe told her.

Avni nodded but wondered why Neil would get so concerned. What had happened before she lost her memory?

She went outside to the garden.

Meanwhile..

A figure saw noticed Avni alone in the garden.

The person approached her quickly. When Avni looked up to see who had appeared in front of her she was stunned.

"Aap yahaan? Muhje laga ke aap.."

" I am back my superstar," Ashish Mehta declared.

Avni glared back into her father's face.

How was he alive and where had he been all these years, if indeed it had been fifteen years since that night?

Neela came outside to check on Avni and gazed at her estranged husband in shock.

"You weren't supposed to come back," Neela exclaimed.

Avni stared at her mother puzzled.

"Ma why did papa leave us?"

Neela was raging mad.

"Because of him, we nearly lost you. He let you get shot that night!," Neela declared.

Neil had returned that exact moment and noticed Neela Ma standing in front of Avni like a shield.

As he ran over to them, Neela turned to Ashish again.

"Mera dhamad acp hai. If you don't leave us alone, I will have you arrested!," Neela yelled.

"Lekin Neela, tumne humari beti ki shaadi mere bina arrange kar di?"

" Aap ki nahin sirf meri beti," she hissed.

"Neela Ma kya hua?"

" Neil take Avni inside. This man has no rights on her anymore," Neela cried.

"Kaun hai aap?," Neil asked.

" Tumari biwi ka baap!"

Neil glared back at him in shock.

But he knew now the trauma the mother and daughter had faced.

He too came to stand before the women and turned to the older man.

" If Neela Ma wants you to leave sasurji, you must leave!," Neil hissed.

Ashish frowned.

" I will leave now. But Avni didn't marry you with my consent. She doesn't have to stay with you," Ashish stated.

"Avni married me in her true senses and wishes. You have no need to worry about her,"Neil said firmly.

He turned around and led a stunned Avni back into their house. Neela followed and gave Ashish a stern glare.