Chapter 28- Help

My feet pound the cold stone, I'm out of breath when I reach the inside. My heart races, huffing and puffing I mange a sentence, "That was close."
     "Tell me about it." Mitch says between breaths.
     "You okay, you look like you've seen a ghost." I say with a snicker.
     "Yeah," he pauses. "just thought I recognize the person in the car; something awfully familiar about him."
     "So you caught his gender, I didn't." I say stretching.
     "Yeah, I think we should find Mrs. and Mr. Bird and get the heck out of this place; it's giving me the heebie-jeebies."
     "I agree."
    As we walk down the hallway I see old photographs on the wall. My eyes see men and women of all different faces, but my eyes catch one in particular; it's Mitch's dad.
     "Mitch did you know your dad worked here?" I say pointing to the picture.
     "Well he's worked all over, I wouldn't doubt it if he worked in Timbuktu."
     "Oh."
     Minutes pass and we haven't found anything. Until my ears perk up. "Hear that?" I say listening.
     "What?" He whispers.
     "It's coming from the floor. Do you have a pry-bar?"
     "A what?"
     "City people, give me you're backpack." He throws me his backpack and I reach in, thank the lord he has one.
     "Wait you're a city girl, what are you talking about?"
     "I used to live in Texas." I say proudly.
     "Jeez I learn more about you everyday!"
     I reach down and yank up the floor boards. Just as I suspected, a secret passage way.
      "How did you do that?"
     "I guess watching a lot of crime shows pays off."
Mitch and I jump down with a loud thump, I hold a finger up to tell him now's the time to shut up.
We walk down and the talking gets louder and an uneasy feeling flies over me. A hand grabs my mouth and pulls me back. Before I know it a knife is at my throat and I'm squealing to try and get Mitch's attention.