My Enemy

What is this mind numbingly boring isolation that people enjoy? They willingly subject themselves in this state of mind to so called "enjoy the peace and quiet." They say we move too fast and have lost the ability to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. They tell us to stop and smell the roses; take a deep breath and rejoice over the feeling of peace that washes over you. What feeling? What roses, on Instagram? Is it our fault that we like things simple and rapid? We like to see the results as quickly as possible. We just type one word into our search engines and boom; we have thousands of results in less than a second. Some argue that this makes us lazy. The way I see it; I think it makes us that much more productive and efficient. It gives us a shortcut so we can do the various other things our daily life includes. Out time is limited. We are only allotted 24 hours a day. We have to make the most of what we've got.

What is this is ancient, archaic entertainment doing in the age of social networking and connecting. Do people still do it? Maybe in some distant, un-explored continent, which doesn't have the Web, Internet or Wi-Fi, this is still considered enjoyable. I 110% disagree. What is this torture doing in the world of technology and electronics? Why do we still put up with this barbaric practice? Why isn't yet banned? This is the digital age. These old-fashioned forms of information are outdated and slow. Why do we still need it? We have all the information in the world at the touch of a slightest brush of a finger on a screen. Why is this still deemed necessary? "Try it," my parents tell me, "you might like it." "It could be fun," they say. It never is. I think this is what cavemen did to pass the time in the winter, when they had nothing to do and were just waiting for spring to come. It was used to pass time, never intended to be used as a tool for education or considered 'fun'. This is what it feels like for me when I put up with it, only for my parents and teacher.

As I stare at the page, the words start to blur before my eyes. I try not to put down my head and go to sleep; for I know it would mean certain doom for me. There have been countless times when my teacher has caught me, head down, fast asleep, after class. Then I get in trouble from my parents. It isn't my fault this activity is so boring. The letters start to swim before my eyes. They swirl and twirl. Doing cartwheels and somersaults. They perform ballet and give me a show. They move faster and dance a salsa. One thing is for sure, they are definitely having more fun than me. What had I done to incur the wrath of God upon me in this form? I am a good kid. I have never been in trouble. What exactly did I do in my past that has made the Big Man so angry? Why am I being inflicted with this punishment? It is time consuming and I detest it. Why do we still do it when there are so many better ways of getting knowledge? It is a huge way of time. In my opinion, it is completely and utterly useless. I hate it. I will always do so, till the day I die. My enemy, reading.