The Cat named Rat

There once was a cat named Rat. He absolutely hated his name. He had no clue what his parents were thinking when they gave him such an absurd name. A cat is supposed to chase rats, not be named Rat. Who names the predator after the prey? Apparently, his parents.

He always felt excluded and he knew it was just because of his ridiculous name. Why did society have to be so cruel? It was absolutely unfair. There was nothing he could even do. He wasn't even of the legal age to be able to change his name. It was not fair. Everything was horrible, it seemed to Rat (the cat).

There is a saying; you never know what you have until it is gone. That could not be truer, in the case of this story. Soon, you will find out the many everyday things you take for granted, that you shouldn't. Can you imagine how you would feel if your name was, say for example; Garbage? It would feel terrible. You would constantly wonder how your parents could have made such an irrational decision, to name their only child; Garbage. This was exactly how Rat felt, on a daily basis.

He was always anxious about what everyone was thinking and saying about him behind his back. If this continued any longer, he would soon fall into the ravine called depression. His parents had noticed the changes and knew exactly what was going on. On that one fateful day, they made him take a walk.

At first, he was extremely opposed to the simple idea of even going outside. What would happen when people saw he was a cat, and when they asked his name, he was called Rat? What would they think of him? It was too much. He knew he would never be able to do it.

Nonetheless, you always have to listen to your parents. In the end, he did it. He stuffed his feet in to his hoary Converse, zipped up his jacket and stepped outside. What he saw, shocked him.

It was a rat named Cat.