Chapter 24

Janine turned to me, "I am sorry Belikov, I shouldn't have spoken to either of you that way."

"I won't say that it is ok because it is never ok for anyone to talk to my Roza like that. I will say however, that I do understand the emotions and sentiment behind it. I have felt that same type of terror for her, more than once, believe me. Also, I think that you should call me Dimitri, we are all a family after all."

"Thank you, Dimitri. And you should call me Janine."

I nodded at her.

(RPOV)

"Now that everyone is calm, let me explain why we left the way that we did."

After everyone was seated around the private living room in our palace I began our story. "I got a call, a few minutes before we left, telling me that Ivan Zeklos had been found. So, we went to Russia to restore him."

"You risked your life to restore someone?!!" My mother asked in astounded disbelief.

"Yes."

"Rose, you are queen now, you can't..."

I took her hands in mine, and asked, "mother, do you remember the vows that I took when I became queen?" 

She nodded. 

"I vowed to put my people first, I vowed to give my life for my people if necessary, and Ivan is one of my people. I take any vow that I make very very seriously mom. I realize that you may not know me well enough to know that yet, but it is true none the less."

"I understand that, and again I am so sorry. But Rose, you can't just leave court anytime that someone needs restoring."

"And I won't, but Ivan is a special case."

"How so?" She was genuinely curious now.

"Ivan is Dimitri's best friend, and David Zeklos's uncle. Do you remember David mother?" She nodded again.

"I promised Dimitri, and Ivan's family, that I would return him to them. I could not, and would not, go back on that promise. Do you understand now why I had to go?"

"Yes Rose, and I'm sorry."

"It's all right mom, if this happens again, just stay calm until you find out what's going on." I laughed.

"Mom, this is Lord Ivan Zeklos. Ivan, this is my mother, Janine Hathaway."

Ivan looked rather stunned and completely star struck for a moment. "Guardian Hathaway, I am deeply deeply honored to meet you." He said his voice filled with awe.

My mother chuckled. "It is my honor Lord Zeklos." 

My mother's eyes started to twinkle and shine with mischievousness. "You better make damn sure to be worthy of my daughter risking her life to restore you." She threatened, seriously. Which was wayyy out of character for her, she never spoke like that to any moroi, much less a royal.

"I will do my very best Guardian Hathaway; I promise you that."

"Good, and call me Janine I retired the day that my daughter took the throne."

"Of course, Janine and please, you must call me Ivan." They shook hands and my mother nodded at Ivan.

After the Belikova's were all reunited with Ivan everyone that we left behind started in on me wanting to know why they were left behind.

"Thorn, why did you leave us here, we are a team." Mishka asked.

"I don't know if you really want me to answer that question here in front of everyone."