Chapter 24: Start over

ok so just before you read this, please keep in mind that i am writing this while just following my mind and how i think things would be. i don't know much about how the government works and things like police, law, etc so please don't bash me or anything TT i'm writing this how I feel it would be like.

As expected, Levi was visited by a few police officers when they had noticed that he had more outside activity

As expected, Levi was visited by a few police officers when they had noticed that he had more outside activity. They were not angry or disappointed, but curious. Levi never went outside except for chores, and it appeared to them that what he was up to was far from chores. Somehow, Levi was on good terms with some of them and usually held friendly conversations with them. It was not viewed as unprofessional because the first thing that came before them was respect and understanding. The police were not his friends, just people trying to help him. Today he thought he was going to see the usual two officers, but he was proved wrong when a new face showed up at his doorstep a few hours after he came home from seeing Eren.

He thought he would never see her again because she was just a stranger when they had crossed paths for the first time. Hundreds of memories flashed before his eyes as he took in her shit-eating grin and abnormally strange looking glasses perched on the bridge of her nose.

"Officer Hanji Zoe here to check up on you, sir," she said. He knew that she recognized him as well.

She looked a lot different now but probably because she wasn't wearing an old lady disguise like she did back when she was chasing Levi down for taking Eren away. He found it odd how she was in the same town as him when they had met so far away before. It was almost as if she hated him enough to follow him all the way here just to torment him and remind him of how much of an awful person he was.

"Good day," he said politely but coldly.

"Here with me is Mike Zacharias. We have reports of your most recent activity and just want to make sure you're only up to good," she said as she tapped the clipboard in her hands. "You've been going out more frequently. Why is that?" 

"Why don't you two come inside? It's cold out here," he said as warmly as he could before opening the door wider so that the two officers could hop in gratefully.

He guided them to the small, round table located in his kitchen and retrieved a glass of water for the two of them without asking first. It wasn't like he was on their bad side, but Levi wanted to look even good than he already was. He was so set on being a good boy now. 

"My counselor suggested I go outside to exercise more often. Helps with mood swings, depression, and other fun things. Is it a problem?" 

"Oh, I see," Mike said as he leaned over to the side so that he could peek at the clipboard over Hanji's shoulder. "That explains why you've been visiting the local park more often." 

"Yeah," Levi mumbled and rubbed the nape of his neck gingerly as if embarrassed. "It's really helping me. It helps with taking things off my mind."