Chapter 25: Heat

When Levi returned to the same spot, a few days later, to see if his letter was taken, he was surprised to see that it wasn't. It was weighed down with the same kidney-shaped stone he had used. He felt his heart drop down along with his deepening frown and snatched it away almost angrily. He was just about to tear it to shreds when he spotted some scribbles he had no memories ever writing. It was a little damp and ripped in some corners, but he opened it without having to damage it any further. He read the answer left for him, and then again and again and again until he stopped sweating from walking to the spot.

The one part he especially liked was "still madly in love with you." Although it was a simple, six lettered sentence, he thought of it as poetry and art. He wanted to bring the wrecked letter home, cut those words out and photocopy it and then proceed to glue it onto every nook and cranny of his apartment until the chipped paint was no longer visible. He wanted it tattooed on himself, wanted it permanently stuck in his mind. He clutched the letter to his chest as if it was the only thing keeping him down on earth as if it was Eren he was really hugging.

It was as if every force above was causing him to melt his self-control, and he was losing it at a rapid pace. The more he thought about him, the more he wanted him to be his. Levi, for an odd reason, kind of believed that alternative universes exist. He thought perhaps there is a universe out there where he and Eren met naturally, not in a forceful manner. Maybe in that same universe, they were together. He often liked to picture it in his mind, how he would skim Eren's fingers with his. A soft and light touch was enough to provoke deep feelings of admiration and affection.

He went home and pinned the letter above his bed on the ceiling so that it was the last thing he'd see when he fell asleep and the first thing he'd say when he woke up.

Eren woke up with a start

Eren woke up with a start. His heartbeat pounded into his ears like merciless thunder and he bolted straight up as if he were possessed. It was raining outside, and he had just woke up from a horrible dream, the same dream about the red string falling apart over and over again. It was not a horrifying dream, nor was it disturbing but whenever Eren dreamt about it, dread washed over him and the anxiety that followed was almost unbearable. It made him want to grab the nearest phone and contact Levi immediately just so he could retell the dream. He once read in an online article that dreams always had meaning. He just didn't figure out what his meant yet.

The dreams occurred more often, and he hadn't returned to the park ever since he sent a reply to Levi in hopes that he will read it. There was no need, Levi said he wasn't able to see him too much. A few weeks had already passed, and he was starting to wonder how he was going to find him. He met him two times from pure coincidence and he hoped it would happen again. They lived in the same small city after all. It shouldn't be too hard. He craved Levi's presence. If they were to meet up again, he would be glad to just be looking at him. It would be enough to send him over the moon. Just thinking about the image of them together made his aching heart pound even harder than it already was. It was odd how he once wanted to be as far as he could from the man, now he wanted to with him all the time. Was this love or infatuation?