Chapter 29: Fixing

Eren was looking at him, but he wasn't focused like Levi instructed him to do. After telling a different waitress nearby that they would be back, Levi dragged Eren to a bus bench across from the café and stroked his hair, all of his attention directed to him. It was difficult doing so because Eren's legs had liquified. Eren began to realize what was happening, and he was calming down again.

"Angel, what is wrong?" Levi whispered to him as he brushed the hair away from his eyes. 

"Panic attack," Eren replied. "It's okay, it happens quite often." 

"What do you think caused it?" 

"It's always cigarette smoke." 

Levi's eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "But I thought you smoke. Do you recall that one time we were chatting and you smoked?" 

"You see, there's this technique called exposure. If I smell it enough, maybe I'll get used to it and forget what it reminds me of whenever I smell it in the future. Your uncle used to smoke a lot, didn't he? So I guess that's why this stupid thing makes me feel so afraid. Not all attacks are physically noticeable. Whenever I smoke, there is a seed of fear planted within me and grows a little, but it does not bloom." 

"Oh, Eren," Levi said with sympathy. "I'm so sorry." 

"It's not your fault and it will never be. Like I said, it's okay. I just need to train myself harder and more often. It's really not a big deal," Eren reassured him as he scratched the nape of his neck. 

"Eren, how about we just go home, okay? I'll make you breakfast and you can just rest in bed. How does that sound?" Levi suggested. He was proud of Eren of wanting to get better, but the idea of wanting to make himself get used to smelling something that reminded him of the past sounded like self-inflicted damage to him. That would also mean that more attacks would be inevitable. 

"Are you sure? I don't mind but you did tell the waitress we'd be back," Eren reminded him as he cocked his head to the side. 

"I don't she will mind too much. She saw you freak out as well anyways," Levi told him. 

"I'm sorry, Levi." 

"You know what? It's okay. You don't need to apologize for things that are way out of your control, alright? I don't mind. I just want to make sure you're okay and comfortable," said Levi as he pressed both of his hands to the side of Eren's face. "I don't want you to feel scared anymore, even if it's fear towards me. I just want you to feel safe."

"Okay, thank you," Eren murmured as he leaned into Levi's touch and inhaled deeply, loving the lingering scent of soap from his hands. 

"I want iced coffee," Eren announced the second they stepped into their shared apartment. He kicked off his shoes and removed his jacket as Levi stared at him with one brow raised.

"Do I look like a barista to you?" he said as he locked the door behind them. 

"Levi," Eren started and rolled his eyes with annoyance. "It's literally just cold coffee with ice. And didn't you say you would make me breakfast?" 

"I'm joking. Anything for you. I'll make French toast for you, does that sound good?" Levi asked as he hurried into the kitchen. 

"Hell yes." 

If he could, Levi would have made something a bit more extravagant for Eren, but he had to work with the ingredients they had left in the pantries and fridge. Their grocery shopping outing was due soon, but Levi just wanted to take the time to make sure Eren would be okay. It wasn't his first time seeing Eren react that way, but his heart fell whenever he did.