•Chapter 13•

◈◈◈◈◈

*Y/N POV*

There he was again, pacing back and forth in search of his shoes.

"I think they're under your bed this time," I yelled out, moving around the kitchen to finish making breakfast for us.

I swirled my way to the closet behind the bar, scooping out two bowls for Princess and Jjangu to eat.

Jjangu was already following close behind me, waiting patiently for me to put down his food.

"Hey! What are the rules?" I said, Jjangu soon taking a seat next to Princess by the dining table, his tail wagging left and right.

It was an unspoken rule that we all ate at the same time, including the dogs. There was no exception. Jin had taught me how to make them follow my voice and even taught me how to let them out to the restroom and the amount of food to serve them.

In a week I had become comfortable enough to help out around the house while he went out to work.

The routine was simple. Make breakfast and feed the dogs throughout the day, remembering to let them out to do their business, something Jin cleaned up once he got home. I'd make the bed, sweep and mop, clean the kitchen and set the table for us to have dinner once he was back. I had slowly been able to coerce myself into being brave enough to set his clothes out to change into after his shower and recently had been able to time his shower so that I could set a cold water bottle on the cabinet next to the shower door for him to drink.

He found it amusing at first, telling me that I didn't have to do such things and to simply lay around the house. That was until i told him that by doing these chores I was able to pick up bits and pieces of my memory.

"Gabe. My dog's name was Gabe," I once blurted out during dinner.

Jin's chopsticks dropped when he heard me say it, immediately picking up his napkin to clean his mouth before clearing his throat to speak.

"You remembered? That's good!"

"He's dead."

A familiar feeling filled the pit of my stomach, quickly spreading and crawling up my chest. My eyes filled with tears, my body aching in pain as I continued to try and eat.

Jin had gone silent, his eyes wandering in my direction and staring at me with uncertainty.

Before I could even have time to try and speak, he came over to my side, and wrapping his arms around me, placing his chin on top of my head carefully.

"Let them fall," he said, rubbing my arm with his hand, the tears spilling faster than I could catch them.

"There, there," he comforted, his voice merely above a whisper, his warm embrace making me feel safe.

"I know how this must feel. I would want to cry hard too if I lost Jjangu or Princess. But we must be strong. YOU must be strong. The first memories you'll get back will be the bad ones, I know after so many years in what order it happens. But trust me, it'll all be worth it once you can finally rest in peace alongside him. Just be strong. Soon you'll be with them, I promise you."

My tears continued to fall, harder than before, and I let him hug me and comfort me for what seemed like forever.

Ever since then I had been terrified of getting my memories back, Jin reassuring me every night that the bad memories always came with the good following close behind them.

And he wasn't wrong. That night I dreamt of Gabe, how we grew up together and how he'd been alongside me after my parents died. But he was an old Lab, his movements slow and dragged out. Most of the time he'd spend his days laying around the house, or he'd sleep next to me to comfort me as I slept.