<Callie> A Girl Who Makes Her Own Choices

Chapter 3

<Callie Stevens>

The April sun is streaming in my windshield as I toss my weekend bag into the back of my car. I slide my sunglasses off the top of my head and slip into the front seat. I turn the keys in my ignition and the engine comes to life. With the radio on and blasting one of my favorite country songs, I back out of the parking lot at my apartment complex. I pull onto the main road and begin to drive the familiar route towards the highway. Once I'm on the highway, I kick it up to speed and call my parents using the Bluetooth in my car. After three rings, my mom picks up with an excited squeal.

"Hey, sweet pea, how are you?" My mom says, the sound of a boiling kettle competing with her voice. "Are you on the road?"

"Just pulled onto the highway, actually." I say as I change lanes.

"Should you be talking on the phone then, missy?" My mom scolds, her tone still amused.

"I have you on speaker, mom, my hands haven't left the steering wheel."

"Good, everyone here is so excited to see you, especially Henry; he hasn't stopped talking about it for weeks."

"Aw, that's too cute. Tell him I've missed him too."

"Will do." My mom says with a happy sigh. "Well, I'll let you focus on your driving. What time do you think you'll get in?"

"I'd say around 10."

"Good, I'll have breakfast on the table then." My mom laughs a little and turns off the kettle.

"I can't wait. I love you, mom, I'll see you soon."

"Love you too, baby." With that, I hang up and turn on the country radio station as I continue down the flat expanse of highway between Austin and Everington. A few cars pass me by, but no one seems to be in much of a hurry at 8 A.M. on a Saturday. I smile as I look out at the clear blue sky. Early morning and sunset had always been my favorite times of the day. Ray used to hate it when I'd make him get up before dawn and drag him to Mount Bonnell to watch the sunrise. He'd complain the entire way to the top of the mountain, but once the sun began to rise, he shut right up and then we'd go get waffles as a reward.

I continue driving, a soft country ballad playing out of the speakers as I pull off at an exit and pull back on to another long stretch of highway. The next song is more upbeat, which matches my mood, so I turn it up as I speed down the highway. The exit for Everington comes into view a few minutes later and I pull off, slowing down considerably. I continue down an almost empty country road towards the worn out welcome sign for Everington, a town of less than 15,000 people. A smile spreads across my lips when I see the chipped paint of the sign and enter the confines of the town. I slow down to barely 20 miles an hour, my eyes peeled for small kids and slow adults meandering in the streets as they're accustomed to do.

Some people wave to me as I drive through town, recognition flashing in their eyes. I wasn't small-town famous or anything, so even I was surprised by the amount of people that seemed to recognize me as I drove through town. I wasn't a high school sports star or a cheerleader or the center of some huge town gossip. I was known as the girl who tried to fix Jasper and then quietly left for college before anyone realized I was gone. I turn left onto my street and drive towards then end until my house comes into view. I put the car in park in the driveway and grab my purse from the passenger's seat. I get out of the car and am about to grab my weekend bag from the back when I'm attacked by a mass of squealing brown hair. I wrap my arms around my little brother and hold him close.

"How's my favorite almost 5-year-old?" I ask as I kneel, so Henry and I are on the same level.

"I'm happy you're home, Callie." Henry smiles and wraps his arms around my neck. I laugh and pick him up, swinging him around a little as I grab my weekend bag. I sling it over my shoulder and carry it and Henry inside. I set Henry down in the foyer before I slip out of my shoes. He takes my bag from me and drags it to the living room which is quite a feat considering it's probably heavier than he is. I chuckle a little and walk into the kitchen where my mom is sipping on a mug of tea while the smell of baking vanilla cake wafts out of the oven. When she looks up and sees me, she squeals and sets her mug down sloppily as she races over to wrap me in her arms.